Static and Kinetic friction question

In summary, to move the crate uphill at a constant speed, a force of mg*a must be exerted. When the crate is moving downhill, the force of gravity is in the same direction as the applied force, so there is no need for friction. However, the coefficient of friction (mus) changes depending on the direction of motion.
Freemark

Homework Statement

A crate is being pushed up a hill with friction. Given: m1 = 131 kg, θ = 23°, [itex]\mu[/itex]s = 0.15, and [itex]\mu[/itex]k = 0.08. If the crate isn't being pushed anymore, what will be the magnitude of the acceleration of the crate sliding downhill?

What force must be exerted to move the crate uphill at constant speed?

What force must be exerted to move the crate downhill at constant speed?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fx = m*a

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram of the crate, m1. The crate is diagonal since it's on an incline, so I made my coordinate system correlate with that. the only diagonal I had was Mg, so I found the x and y components of it. So Mxg = MgSinθ and Myg = MgCosθ.
Overall the forces acting upon the box were Mg, N, and f (friction). So for [itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fx = M*a:
-MgSinθ - f = m*ax
-MgSinθ - [itex]\mu[/itex]s*N = M*ax

[itex]\frac{-MgSinθ - ms*N}{M}[/itex]=ax

For [itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = M*a:
N-MgCosθ=M*ay (there's no vertical a, so the right side is 0)
N = MgCosθ

Since I'm trying to find horizontal ax, I'll sub in MgCosθ in for N.

Now I have [itex]\frac{-MgSinθ - ms*MgCosθ}{M}[/itex]=ax
I can factor out the M...

-gSinθ - [itex]\mu[/itex]s*gCosθ =ax (the M's cancel on top/bottom)
Bring out a g and -1 from both...

-g(Sinθ + [itex]\mu[/itex]s*Cosθ) =ax

Plug in and get my answer for part 1? The real question I guess is if my math was right and if I'm using [itex]\mu[/itex]k instead of [itex]\mu[/itex]s. I have no idea how to start the other 2 parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you've got it correct. But you must be very careful with the friction. It will change direction depending on whether the crate is moving uphill or downhill. Your current answer assumes that the crate is moving uphill, since the friction is in the same direction as gravity (downhill). But if the crate is moving downhill, then of course the sign of the friction will become opposite of gravity. Why do you have a problem with the next two parts? Think about what constant speed means. What must be the total force on the object in this case?

BruceW said:
Yes, you've got it correct. But you must be very careful with the friction. It will change direction depending on whether the crate is moving uphill or downhill. Your current answer assumes that the crate is moving uphill, since the friction is in the same direction as gravity (downhill). But if the crate is moving downhill, then of course the sign of the friction will become opposite of gravity. Why do you have a problem with the next two parts? Think about what constant speed means. What must be the total force on the object in this case?

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that! Alright, so friction is moving against the crate moving downhill, which means that it's not -f, but +f.
As for the next two parts, wouldn't a constant speed mean that a = 0? Specifically ax. So if that's right The F for uphill would be F = MgSinθ + [itex]\mu[/itex]s*N?

Yep, you got it. When the crate is sliding uphill, the friction and gravity are both acting downhill, while the applied force must be uphill. So you are correct that friction and gravity are both in the same direction in this case.

One other thing is the coefficient of friction. You have taken mus to be the coefficient of sliding friction, but I think it might be the other way around. You can work it out logically, by looking at the values of the two coefficients of friction.

BruceW said:
Yep, you got it. When the crate is sliding uphill, the friction and gravity are both acting downhill, while the applied force must be uphill. So you are correct that friction and gravity are both in the same direction in this case.

One other thing is the coefficient of friction. You have taken mus to be the coefficient of sliding friction, but I think it might be the other way around. You can work it out logically, by looking at the values of the two coefficients of friction.
Yeah I figured that [itex]\mu[/itex]k was the right one to use. I went through with it and found the right answer, Just that and a couple sign errors got me. Also for the last two parts, they're literally just asking the same thing. When, ax = 0, what is F, while part one is saying if F = 0, find ax. I could practically do it all in one sweep. Anyways thank you for the help! Got me set on the right track for sure :)

1. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from sliding past each other, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are already in motion.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the force of friction by the normal force between two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the ratio of the force required to move an object to the weight of the object.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the types of materials, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pushing the surfaces together.

4. Is the coefficient of friction always constant?

No, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the surface materials and conditions. For example, the coefficient of friction can increase with an increase in weight or when the surfaces are wet.

5. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object by converting kinetic energy into heat. It can also cause the object to change direction or move in a non-uniform manner.