Calculating Negative Charge in Nitrogen Gas: A Static Electricity Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a first year university physics student struggling with an online quiz question involving nitrogen gas and negative charge. The student's attempted solution involves finding the charge and then dividing it by the number of electrons in each nitrogen atom, but the given answer is different and the student is seeking help.
jmail
So, I'm in first year university physics and each week we have online quizzes. And I'm having trouble figuring out how I got this question wrong.

Q: In what amount of nitrogen gas are 0.8 MCb of negative charge? Note: each nitrogen atom has 7 electrons.

The answer they gave is 5.92 x 10^(-1) mol
but I'm not getting this answer, and I've tried so many times.

I keep on getting 1.19 x 10^(0) mol.
---> What I did was find Q by = (7)(1.6 x 10^-19)(6.02 x 10^23) = 6.74 x 10^(5) Cb/mol
---> Then to find n I did = 0.8 x 10^6 / 6.74 x 10^5 = 1.19

If anyone could help me, that would be great. This problem is really bothering me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember nitrogen gas is N2

i think maybe this should be moved to the homework forums?

FAQ: Calculating Negative Charge in Nitrogen Gas: A Static Electricity Problem

1. What causes static electricity?

Static electricity is caused by an imbalance of electric charges on the surface of an object. This can occur when two objects with different levels of electrical charge come into contact with each other and electrons are transferred between them.

2. How does static electricity affect everyday objects?

Static electricity can cause objects to stick together, such as when clothes cling together in the dryer. It can also cause shocks when touching metal objects after walking on carpet. In some cases, static electricity can even cause damage to sensitive electronic devices.

3. How is static electricity different from current electricity?

Static electricity is the buildup of electric charges on the surface of an object, while current electricity involves the flow of electric charges through a conductor. Static electricity is usually a temporary imbalance of charges, while current electricity is a continuous flow of charges.

4. How can static electricity be controlled or prevented?

Static electricity can be controlled by grounding or neutralizing objects that have an excess of electric charges. This can be done by using anti-static materials or by avoiding materials that are known to cause static buildup, such as certain types of clothing.

5. Can static electricity be dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity is not dangerous. However, in certain situations, such as in the presence of flammable materials, it can potentially cause sparks that can lead to fires or explosions. It is important to take precautions and properly handle materials that are prone to static buildup in order to avoid any potential dangers.

Back