Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Equilibrium and Moment

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1
    Can anyone help me with this question!!!! I know to solve this problem, you have to set ΣF and ΣM =0, but what do you do with angle? (It's P.31 in the bottom)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Ping, welcome to PF :smile: !

Sure! To get started, extract a complete and concise problem statement from this moving stoy. That helps you sort out what's known/unknown and what's relevant/irrelevant. Then help us help you at the appropriate level by typing some equations relating the variables that occur.
    What also heklps is a free body diagram showing the forces that act.
    Then try to solve and type what you do. At the point where you get stuck we'll gladly help you further. Also see the guidelines.

PS my neck hurts from trying to read from bottom to top.

4. Sep 23, 2015 #3
    This is what I did, but it looks wrong to me

Attached Files:

5. Sep 23, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think you need to do anything with the angle? The location of the center of gravity for the music player is shown on the figure. :wink:

If you want to express the reactions Ay and By in correct SI force units of Newtons, you should change the masses of the music player and the docking station from grams to kg at the beginning.

6. Sep 23, 2015 #5
    So they just place a angle there to trick me?

7. Sep 23, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sadly, yes.

8. Sep 23, 2015 #7
    Thank you for telling me!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook