Finding Static Equilibrium: Solving for Unknown Angles

In summary, the conversation is about a person needing help with a question on how to solve a physics problem involving setting ΣF and ΣM =0. They also discuss the importance of extracting a concise problem statement and creating a free body diagram. The conversation ends with the person realizing that the angle provided was just a trick and thanking the other person for their help.
Ping427
Can anyone help me with this question! I know to solve this problem, you have to set ΣF and ΣM =0, but what do you do with angle? (It's P.31 in the bottom)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 392
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 374
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Ping, welcome to PF :smile: !

Sure! To get started, extract a complete and concise problem statement from this moving stoy. That helps you sort out what's known/unknown and what's relevant/irrelevant. Then help us help you at the appropriate level by typing some equations relating the variables that occur.
What also heklps is a free body diagram showing the forces that act.
Then try to solve and type what you do. At the point where you get stuck we'll gladly help you further. Also see the guidelines.

PS my neck hurts from trying to read from bottom to top.

BvU said:
Hi Ping, welcome to PF :smile: !

Sure! To get started, extract a complete and concise problem statement from this moving stoy. That helps you sort out what's known/unknown and what's relevant/irrelevant. Then help us help you at the appropriate level by typing some equations relating the variables that occur.
What also heklps is a free body diagram showing the forces that act.
Then try to solve and type what you do. At the point where you get stuck we'll gladly help you further. Also see the guidelines.

PS my neck hurts from trying to read from bottom to top.
This is what I did, but it looks wrong to me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 378
Ping427 said:
Can anyone help me with this question! I know to solve this problem, you have to set ΣF and ΣM =0, but what do you do with angle? (It's P.31 in the bottom)
Why do you think you need to do anything with the angle? The location of the center of gravity for the music player is shown on the figure. :wink:

If you want to express the reactions Ay and By in correct SI force units of Newtons, you should change the masses of the music player and the docking station from grams to kg at the beginning.

SteamKing said:
Why do you think you need to do anything with the angle? The location of the center of gravity for the music player is shown on the figure. :wink:

If you want to express the reactions Ay and By in correct SI force units of Newtons, you should change the masses of the music player and the docking station from grams to kg at the beginning.
So they just place a angle there to trick me?

Ping427 said:
So they just place a angle there to trick me?
Sadly, yes.

SteamKing said:
Sadly, yes.
Thank you for telling me!:smile:

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object or system is not moving or accelerating. This means that the net force and net torque acting on the object or system are both equal to zero.

2. How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is different from dynamic equilibrium in that in static equilibrium, the object or system is completely stationary, while in dynamic equilibrium, the object or system is moving at a constant velocity.

3. What is a moment in relation to static equilibrium?

A moment, also known as torque, is a measure of the turning effect of a force around a pivot point. In static equilibrium, the moments acting on an object or system must be balanced in order for it to remain stationary.

4. How do you calculate the moment of a force?

The moment of a force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. It is also important to consider the direction of the moment, which is determined by the right-hand rule.

5. How can static equilibrium be applied in real-life situations?

Static equilibrium is important in many real-life situations, such as in the design of structures like buildings and bridges, balancing objects on a seesaw, or even walking on a tightrope. Understanding static equilibrium allows us to analyze and predict the stability of objects and systems in various scenarios.