How is the Torque Equation Set Up for a Leaning Ladder in Static Equilibrium?

In summary, the minimum angle at which the ladder will not slip is when the angle between the ladder and the perpendicular force is sin(pi/2-theta).
physicsman2

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder of mass m and length l leans at an angle theta against a frictionless wall. If the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground is mu, determine a formula for the minimum angle at which the ladder will not slip.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to create the free body diagram and use the rules for static equilibrium in the x and y direction, but I don't know why the torque equation is set up as: W(lsin(theta))-(1/2)(lmgcos(theta)) = 0 where W is the Force exerted by the wall and mg is the Force due to gravity acting on the ladder at the center of its mass. Mainly, where do the sin and cos come from when the the wall force is parallel and gravity perpendicular to the ground. I know it has something to do with the ladder being at an angle, but I can't wrap my mind around where they exactly came from. Also, it's a frictionless wall which makes me believe that the wall force should not have any components. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Physicsman. The theta you are using is between the ladder and the ground, right? The wording suggests to me that it should be the angle between the wall and the ladder . . .

Are you finding the torque about the point where the ladder touches the ground? That should be the easiest route because the force is complicated at that point and we can just ignore it this way. The first torque is due to the force of the wall Fw which must be perpendicular to the wall because it is frictionless so the torque is Fw*sin(θ)*L (the component of Fw perpendicular to the ladder times distance from pivot).

I found the diagram online: https://egp.rutgers.edu/gifs/CJ/9-7.gif

I originally did make the point where the ladder touches the ground the pivot point, but for some reason I don't understand why the force has a component when it's just the same force exerted. Wait, is it because you need to use the perpendicular force of the Fw to the ladder instead of the wall since you're working with torque? Then what about the mgcos(theta), where does cos come from?

But why is it cos and not sin for the perpendicular Fg? I don't understand why in this case the angle is sin(pi/2 - theta) and not just sin theta like in the perpendicular Fw.

Edit: I think I see why now, I thought theta would be the angle between the ladder and mg but I think theta would be the angle between the ladder and the perpendicular force. Am I correct and if so can someone explain why it's so in this case?

Last edited:
Maybe a diagram will help.
ladder.jpg

I have trouble "seeing" which angle is θ so I marked the angles complementary to θ (90-θ) with a solid dot.

1. What is static equilibrium in relation to a ladder?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object, such as a ladder, is at rest and not moving. In the case of a ladder, static equilibrium means that the ladder is not tipping or falling over.

2. How do you ensure that a ladder is in static equilibrium?

To ensure that a ladder is in static equilibrium, the ladder must be placed on a flat and stable surface. The base of the ladder should also be secured to the ground or wall to prevent it from slipping or sliding. Additionally, the weight of the person or object on the ladder should be evenly distributed to prevent any tipping.

3. What factors affect the static equilibrium of a ladder?

The weight of the ladder, the weight of the person or object on the ladder, and the angle of the ladder are all factors that can affect the static equilibrium of a ladder. The greater the weight on one side of the ladder or the steeper the angle of the ladder, the more likely it is to lose its equilibrium and tip over.

4. How can you calculate the forces acting on a ladder in static equilibrium?

To calculate the forces acting on a ladder in static equilibrium, you can use the principles of Newton's laws of motion. The sum of all the forces acting on the ladder must be equal to zero for it to remain in equilibrium. This means that the upward forces, such as the normal force from the ground, must balance out the downward forces, such as the weight of the ladder and the person or object on it.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when using a ladder to maintain static equilibrium?

To maintain static equilibrium and ensure safety when using a ladder, it is important to follow proper ladder safety guidelines. This includes checking the ladder for any damage or defects before use, making sure it is on a stable surface, and using a spotter or securing the ladder to prevent it from slipping. It is also important to always maintain three points of contact with the ladder and not to overreach while on the ladder.