Static equlibrium on a diving board

In summary, to find the force at the end that is held down on a diving board, you need to shift your pivot point to another location. By calculating the torques about a different point, you can solve for the force at the end held down. This is necessary because the board is in rotational equilibrium and the sum of the torques about any point must be zero.
ph123
A diving board of length 3.00 m is supported at a point a distance 1.00 m from the end, and a diver weighing 550 N stands at the free end. The diving board is of uniform cross section and weighs 255 N. Find the force at the end that is held down.

In part a, I found the normal force at the support point, 1m from the end held down.

N = [550N(3m) + 255N(1.5m)]/1.0m = 2030N

Part b wants the force at the end held down. I don't really know how to approach this part, since the end held down is at my x=0m point. I found the center of mass to be 2.52m. I know the torque calculated should be about the support point.

Sum torques = N(L/3) + N(0) - W_b(L) - W_d(L/2)
where W_b = weight of the board
W_d = weight of the diver

But since the end held down is at zero, this term drops out and I'm left with what I got for the first part.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know how to approach this part, since the end held down is at my x=0m point.

You want the distance from your pivot point to where the force is acting. Just because the end of the board is at x=0, doesn't mean that the distance to that point is zero.

Your choice of calculating the torques about the fixed point eliminates the force you want to calculate, as you discovered. The trick is shift this point to another place. Since the board is in rotational equilibrium the sum of the torques about any point needs to be zero.

1. What is static equilibrium on a diving board?

Static equilibrium on a diving board refers to the state where all the forces acting on the diving board are balanced, resulting in a stable and motionless position.

2. How is static equilibrium achieved on a diving board?

Static equilibrium on a diving board is achieved when the downward force of the diver's weight is equal to the upward force of the board's support, such as the water or the fulcrum.

3. What factors affect static equilibrium on a diving board?

The factors that affect static equilibrium on a diving board include the weight and position of the diver, the length and stiffness of the board, and the support of the board.

4. What happens if static equilibrium is not maintained on a diving board?

If static equilibrium is not maintained on a diving board, the board may tip or bend, causing the diver to lose balance and potentially leading to injuries.

5. How can static equilibrium on a diving board be calculated?

Static equilibrium on a diving board can be calculated by considering the forces acting on the board and using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and torque. Precise measurements and calculations are important for ensuring the safety and stability of the diving board.