Static Friction but no mass given Help

That's why I'm here; to help people who are having trouble in class. Glad you figured it out though! :smile:
cassienoelle

Homework Statement

The coefficent of static friction between the floor of a truck and a box resting on it is 0.36. The truck is traveling at 70.0 km/hr. What is the least distance in which the truck can stop and ensure that the box does not slide?

Professor gave us these clues:
It is the static frictional force exerted on the box by the truck that causes the box to accelerate. The static frictional force is:
fs≤μs*N
Since we're are interested in stopping in the least amount of time possible, the frictional force must be equal to the maximum possible static frictional force (which results in the largest acceleration):
fs=μs*N

Homework Equations

so if fs=Us*N

The Attempt at a Solution

where the heck can i find N and fs? If I have no mass given i can't find N?
I've figured out that the speed is 19.44m/s :)

Physics news on Phys.org
cassienoelle said:

Homework Statement

The coefficent of static friction between the floor of a truck and a box resting on it is 0.36. The truck is traveling at 70.0 km/hr. What is the least distance in which the truck can stop and ensure that the box does not slide?

Professor gave us these clues:
It is the static frictional force exerted on the box by the truck that causes the box to accelerate. The static frictional force is:
fs≤μs*N
Since we're are interested in stopping in the least amount of time possible, the frictional force must be equal to the maximum possible static frictional force (which results in the largest acceleration):
fs=μs*N

Homework Equations

so if fs=Us*N

The Attempt at a Solution

where the heck can i find N and fs? If I have no mass given i can't find N?
I've figured out that the speed is 19.44m/s :)

The frictional force is Us*N as you say. That means Us*m*g.
Once you had the frictional force, you would divide by m to get the resulting acceleration so you could calculate the stopping distance. That means the mass would cancel out, croceed through the problem using m for mass and it will disappear at a convenient time.

EDIT: In other words, you are not really after the actual Frictional force, just the affects the friction force will have.

So...
fs=.36*m*9.81
So...
fs=3.5316m
I don't understand how the m's would cancel out?

I have a similar question (It's the same form, just different numbers).

So, you would have...

f[itex]_{s}[/itex]=[itex]\mu[/itex]N

You need the least distance needed to stop, so you would start by finding the maximum acceleration, correct?

I will denote m[itex]_{t}[/itex] as the truck's mass and a[itex]_{t}[/itex] as the acceleration of the truck.

So, f[itex]_{s}[/itex]=[itex]\mu[/itex]m[itex]_{t}[/itex]g = m[itex]_{t}[/itex]a[itex]_{t}[/itex]

So, the masses cancel out, leaving...

[itex]\mu[/itex]g = a[itex]_{t}[/itex]

So, a[itex]_{t}[/itex] is .36(9.8)...

a[itex]_{t}[/itex] = 3.53 m/s^2 Am I on the right track?

cassienoelle said:
So...
fs=.36*m*9.81
So...
fs=3.5316m
I don't understand how the m's would cancel out?

SO you have an expression for fs. What are you going to use it to calculate?

Aggression200 said:
I have a similar question (It's the same form, just different numbers).

So, you would have...

f[itex]_{s}[/itex]=[itex]\mu[/itex]N

You need the least distance needed to stop, so you would start by finding the maximum acceleration, correct?

I will denote m[itex]_{t}[/itex] as the truck's mass and a[itex]_{t}[/itex] as the acceleration of the truck.

So, f[itex]_{s}[/itex]=[itex]\mu[/itex]m[itex]_{t}[/itex]g = m[itex]_{t}[/itex]a[itex]_{t}[/itex]

So, the masses cancel out, leaving...

[itex]\mu[/itex]g = a[itex]_{t}[/itex]

So, a[itex]_{t}[/itex] is .36(9.8)...

a[itex]_{t}[/itex] = 3.53 m/s^2 Am I on the right track?

Looks correct.

Thanks, PeterO. :smile:

Does this method from here on seem right?

Since I have a, V[itex]_{i}[/itex], and V[itex]_{f}[/itex], I can now solve for [itex]\Delta[/itex]x using kinematics...

V[itex]_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]=V[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+2a[itex]\Delta[/itex]x

V[itex]_{f}[/itex]=0 m/s
V[itex]_{i}[/itex]= 19.44 m/s
a = -3.53 m/s^2

So...

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = [itex]\frac{-(19.44)^2}{-2(3.53)}[/itex]

So, [itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 53.5 m ?

Last edited:
Aggression200 said:
Thanks, PeterO. :smile:

Does this method from here on seem right?

Since I have a, V[itex]_{i}[/itex], and V[itex]_{f}[/itex], I can now solve for [itex]\Delta[/itex]x using kinematics...

V[itex]_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]=V[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+2a[itex]\Delta[/itex]x

V[itex]_{f}[/itex]=0 m/s
V[itex]_{i}[/itex]= 19.44 m/s
a = -3.53 m/s^2

So...

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = [itex]\frac{-(19.44)^2}{-3.53}[/itex]

So, [itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 107 m ?

Assuming you arithmetic was correct that should be true.
rough check is: average speed approx 10m/s
time to stop approx 5 seconds
Distance covered approx 50m ?

You are out by a factor of 2 ??

I bolded and coloured a 2 in one of your formulas. have you perhaps overlooked it during your calculations?

PeterO said:
Assuming you arithmetic was correct that should be true.
rough check is: average speed approx 10m/s
time to stop approx 5 seconds
Distance covered approx 50m ?

You are out by a factor of 2 ??

I bolded and coloured a 2 in one of your formulas. have you perhaps overlooked it during your calculations?
Yes, I caught it right before you posted. Sorry. I had it written down on my paper, but typed it in wrong.

Thanks for all your help, PeterO.

nevermind! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

cassienoelle said:
nevermind! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
You're very welcome. Sometimes it just helps to see other people work it out. :smile:

Aggression200 said:
You're very welcome. Sometimes it just helps to see other people work it out. :smile:

The class I'm taking is online, and he hasn't showed us how to work these out very well. So it's extremely frustrating. Thank you for understanding.

Nevermind i got it all by myself :d

cassienoelle said:
The class I'm taking is online, and he hasn't showed us how to work these out very well. So it's extremely frustrating. Thank you for understanding.
I understand completely. Teachers in the classroom who don't explain it very well make it extremely frustrating, much less online.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when they are in contact and at rest.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest, while kinetic friction is the force that slows down or stops an object that is already in motion.

What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and any external forces acting on the object.

How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is determined experimentally by measuring the maximum force needed to overcome static friction and cause the object to move, divided by the normal force between the two surfaces.

Why is it important to consider static friction in everyday life?

Static friction is important in everyday life because it allows us to grip objects and prevents them from sliding or slipping. It also plays a role in many mechanical systems, such as brakes and tires, and helps us to maintain balance and stability when walking or standing on a surface.