What forces causes the top book to accelerate horizontally?

In summary: But, if you are looking for a more in-depth explanation, you may want to consider looking for a different textbook.Most of the time, that is sufficient. But, if you are looking for a more in-depth explanation, you may want to consider looking for a different textbook.
Balsam

Homework Statement

A small textbook is resting on a larger textbook on a horizontal desktop. You apply a horizontal force to the bottom book and both books accelerate together. The top book does not slip on the lower book. What forces causes the top book to accelerate horizontally?

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the solutions manual says that the top book's inertia makes it want to move backwards. There is a force of static friction acting to prevent this attempted motion. It acts opposite the direction of attempted motion, forwards. So, the top book accelerates with the bottom book and doesn't slip.

But, I'm confused because, doesn't there need to be an applied force on an object for there to be attempted motion at all? There's no applied force acting on the top book that would explain it's attempted backwards motion. Do you always need an applied force to state that an object is attempting motion? Is there a fictitious force involved? This is a stupid question, but I'm just confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Any backwards motion of the top book is only relative to the bottom book. Inertia gives it a tendency to remain still in the frame of reference of the room that it is in.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Any backwards motion of the top book is only relative to the bottom book. Inertia gives it a tendency to remain still in the frame of reference of the room that it is in. With physics concepts, you are likely to find some authors have more precise and more accurate explanations than others.
So there's no external force acting on the book causing it to move backwards relative to the bottom book?

Balsam said:
So there's no external force acting on the book causing it to move backwards relative to the bottom book?
That is correct. In learning physics, I think most of the textbooks are first-rate, but it is important to make sure that your textbook has good explanations with sufficient attention to detail. I think you will find some books to be better than others.

Charles Link said:
That is correct. In learning physics, I think most of the textbooks are first-rate, but it is important to make sure that your textbook has good explanations with sufficient attention to detail. I think you will find some books to be better than others.
I just use the textbook that the class uses

Balsam said:
I just use the textbook that the class uses
Most of the time, that is sufficient.

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. What are the different types of forces that can cause acceleration?

The different types of forces that can cause acceleration include gravity, friction, applied force, tension, and normal force. These forces can either act alone or in combination to cause an object to accelerate.

3. How does Newton's Second Law of Motion relate to the acceleration of the top book?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the net force acting on the top book, the greater its acceleration will be.

4. Can the top book accelerate horizontally without any external forces acting on it?

No, according to Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, the top book requires some external force to cause it to accelerate horizontally.

5. How does the surface the top book is on affect its horizontal acceleration?

The surface the top book is on can affect its horizontal acceleration through friction. Friction is a force that opposes motion and can either increase or decrease the acceleration of an object depending on factors such as the type of surface and the force applied. A smoother surface will typically have less friction and result in a greater acceleration of the top book.