Statically indeterminant problem

• Thread starter oakley45
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that you need two equations to solve for the two unknowns. One equation is for the x direction and the other is for the y direction. The force on the body acts at 30 degrees from the horizontal at point C. You can eliminate one of the variables by assuming the "brake caliper" is a solid piece.
oakley45
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help/guide me with a problem i have, the figure below shows a free body diagram of a brake caliper, the force on the body acts at 30 degrees from the horizontal at point C, I resolved this to get the two forces shown in the x and y direction.

http://www.volkstorque.co.uk/vt/imagehosting/676474d6a22acc4e.jpg

I have determined the values for v1 and v2 but i cannot decide how to get the values for h1 and h2, they cannot be the same due to the direction of the force. The problem appears to be statically indeterminant so is there another way i could solve this problem?
Any suggestions appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This probably should be placed in the homework help section. Your original resultant force appears to go through point A (ie. try summing moments about point A to start finding reactions).

You definitely have a situation where you'll need two equations to get the two unknowns. You can sum the B direction and sum moments about some point other than the three points on the triangle. You can't sum about A or B because that will eliminate H1 and H2. You can't sum about C because that eliminates the other forces.

Is there anything with other boundary conditions that you could use to eliminate some variables?

I summed moments about A and the resultant of the components shown doesn't go through point A so you can get V2 and therefore V1. I just solved the rest of it with what he gave assuming a RIGID BODY, using superposition and the geometry given. The additional equation is that H1=H2 for each superposition. I assumed the "brake caliper" is a solid, rigid triangle. The first time I did it
I treated it like an open triangle truss but now I think the "brake caliper" is supposed to be a solid piece.

Last edited:

FAQ: Statically indeterminant problem

What is a statically indeterminant problem?

A statically indeterminant problem is a type of structural analysis problem where the number of unknown forces or reactions is more than the number of equations available to solve for them. This means that the problem cannot be solved solely through the use of equations and requires additional information or assumptions.

How is a statically indeterminant problem different from a statically determinate problem?

In a statically determinate problem, the number of unknowns is equal to the number of equations, allowing for a unique solution. In contrast, a statically indeterminant problem has more unknowns than equations, making the solution indeterminate or ambiguous.

What are some common examples of statically indeterminant problems?

Some common examples include continuous beams with more than two supports, trusses with one or more redundant members, and arches. These structures require additional assumptions or techniques, such as the method of sections or compatibility equations, to solve for all the unknowns.

Why are statically indeterminant problems important?

Statically indeterminant problems are important because they represent more complex and realistic structural analysis scenarios. In real-world engineering applications, it is rare to encounter statically determinate structures, so understanding how to solve for unknowns in indeterminate problems is crucial for designing and analyzing safe and efficient structures.

How can statically indeterminant problems be solved?

There are several methods for solving statically indeterminant problems, including the method of sections, the method of consistent deformations, and the slope-deflection method. These techniques involve making assumptions and applying additional equations to solve for the unknown forces and reactions in the structure.

Back