Statics and Strength of Materials

In summary, the person is looking for help with homework problems that they have been struggling with for two days and have read through a book and searched the internet for answers, but have not been able to find any. They are at their last resort and would love for someone to send them pictures of working out the problems.
MiTCHaPaLOOUZA
Ive been trying to work out these problems for 2 days now. I've read through the book "Statics and Strength of Materials, Second Edition" By: Cheng. I've googled Everything. I've been on other Forums and have got no reply. I've tried Facebook Math Pages. No Answers. I've been Looking for free help everywhere and I can't Find ANYTHING. I've even asked my instructor for help and he only gives me small hints on where to start.

These make no sense to me and I have no clue where to begin and how to go about solving any of these. This is my last resort. I am going to fail if none of you can help me out. I would love for someone to send pics of working it out if its possible. I've got some of my shown work Written down but I'm 100% Sure I'm going the exact opposite way of where I'm supposed to be headed.

1. Homework Statement

1.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 9.00.30 PM.png

3.png

4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

14970989_10157766071965078_112542166_o.jpg

14971452_10157766072105078_1604782865_o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find a 'help' link, find the section, 'How to Ask for Homework Help' and give it a read, particularly this passage:
  • Do not simply post images of the problem statement or your work.
    While posting images may be convenient for you, it's actually one of the most effective ways of getting your request for help ignored. Images are often too big, too small, rotated, upside down, out of focus, dimly lit, or of otherwise poor quality, and your handwriting probably isn't as easy to read as you think it is. Images are a hindrance to the helpers as portions of the problem statement or your work can't easily be quoted. Using images also doesn't qualify as filling out the homework template, so your post may be deleted.

So type up the problem statement and your work. Think "If I can't be bothered to spend my time typing it, why should they be bothered to spend their time reading it?" Use scans or photos for supporting figures. You may, of course, attach an image of the problem statement in addition to the typed version; in fact, if it's a complicated or long problem, you probably should. But you should always provide a typed version as well.

When you do use an image to your post, make sure it's in focus, oriented the right way, well lit, etc. It seems like this should be obvious, but experience has shown that people frequently post incredibly poor images. Add it as an attachment to the post. Don't host it externally. That way it will remain on PF indefinitely, and your thread will remain useful to future visitors.
For question 1), BX is zero, by inspection. To find BY, take moments about A. No trigonometry is required.

For question 2) It looks like you've completely ignored the hanging mass and the fact that Tac has an X component.
apply the equations of static equilibrium:
∑Fx = 0
∑Fy = 0

Likes berkeman
billy_joule said:
Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find a 'help' link, find the section, 'How to Ask for Homework Help' and give it a read, particularly this passage:
For question 1), BX is zero, by inspection. To find BY, take moments about A. No trigonometry is required.

For question 2) It looks like you've completely ignored the hanging mass and the fact that Tac has an X component.
apply the equations of static equilibrium:
∑Fx = 0
∑Fy = 0
Alright thanks ill start there. And I know I'm not supposed to just post pics but i can't explain the problem or what's going on if I don't know how to start or what to do. I can't believe how hard it has been to get just a LITTLE bit of help from the whole internet. Its been exhausting trying to find an active forum or anyone to talk to about it.

1. What is the difference between statics and strength of materials?

Statics is the study of objects and structures at rest, while strength of materials is the study of how materials resist forces and stresses.

2. Why is it important to study statics and strength of materials?

Understanding statics and strength of materials is essential for designing and analyzing structures and machines that can withstand external forces and remain stable.

3. What are some common applications of statics and strength of materials?

Some common applications include building and bridge design, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering.

4. How do external forces affect the behavior of materials?

External forces, such as compression, tension, and shear, can cause materials to deform, bend, or break depending on their strength and properties.

5. What factors determine the strength of a material?

The strength of a material is determined by its chemical composition, microstructure, and physical properties such as elasticity, ductility, and hardness.