Statics- Bending Moment Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a bending moment diagram for a beam with fixed ends, where Ra and Rb are reaction forces, L1 and L2 are lengths between Ra and N and N and Rb respectively, N is a force acting perpendicular to the beam and P is a force acting at length L3 parallel to the beam. The conversation also addresses concerns about including P in the first "cut" between Ra and N and the sudden change in magnitude when it is included. The expert clarifies that the ends of the beam are actually hinged and provides a correct bending moment diagram that accounts for the discontinuity caused by the application of P.
Kalus
I'm trying to construct a bending moment diagram for the situation as below:

[PLAIN]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/633/bmdiag.jpg

Where Ra and Rb are reaction forces, L1 and L2 are lengths between Ra and N and N and Rb respectively, N is a force acting perpendicular to the beam and P is a force acting at length L3 (sorry forgot to label this) parallel to the beam. The beam has fixed ends so cannot hinge.

The shear force diagram is fairly straight forward, but I'm having issues trying to decide whether to include P in the first "cut" between Ra and N.

What I've done so far is:

If you take x from the left hand side, then between Ra and N:

M= Ra*x

between N and Rb:

M= Ra*x - L3*P - N*(x-0.1)

However, when this is plot it looks very strange as suddenly the magnitude changes drastically when L3*P is included.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks,
Kalus

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to clarify the problem. Are the ends fixed or are they supported at one end by a hinged (pinned) support and at the other end by a hinged roller support? I assume that there is a vertical member between point P and the horizontal beam?

As I said in the OP both ends of the beam are fixed. Also there is a vertical member of length L3 that force P is applied at.

Thanks,
Kalus

If the beam is fixed at both ends, it is statically indeterminate to the 3rd degree, that is, there are 6 unknowns (1 moment and 2 forces at each end), but only 3 static equilibrium equations, so the solution requires the use of other methods based on strain compatability and boundary conditions, unless you are allowed to use beam tables based on fixed fixed end conditions with a load and couple applied at a point. Your solution neglects the fixed end moments at each end. In general, the couple P*L3 will cause a sharp change in moment at the point of its application. This is a time consuming problem without the use of tables, so that is why I questioned the end conditions and your use of the term 'fixed' ends rather than 'hinged' ends. The solution ia a lot easier if the ends are hinged, because the beam is allowed to rotate at its ends and there will be no fixed end moments at the ends.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Jay. Sorry, to clarify P, N, L1, L2 and L3 are all known, I was working algebraically on the problem, as its the general solution I'm interested in. This 'beam' is actually a shaft supported by two bearings.

Kalus said:
Thanks for your reply Jay. Sorry, to clarify P, N, L1, L2 and L3 are all known, I was working algebraically on the problem, as its the general solution I'm interested in. This 'beam' is actually a shaft supported by two bearings.
OK, then the ends may be assumed as hinged (free to rotate but not translate). So, I assume you have correctly calculated the vertical end reactions Ra and Rb, and drawn the shear diagram correctly (which does not include the horizontal force P). Then when you draw the moment diagram, the couple P*L3 abruptly (discontinuity) changes the moment at its point of application on the beam. Watch plus/minus signs.

Plugging in the numbers below gives the following bending moment diagram:

L1=0.1 m
L2=0.05 m
L3=0.1 m
N= 1770 N
P= 1690 N

[PLAIN]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8440/bmdiag2.jpg

Notice on the graph (excuse the lack of labels) I plot the same point, 0.1 m, using both equations that it fits into. I guess because of the discontinuity that occurs due to P3*N I first thought it was wrong, because the single point has two different bending moments. However, if it is a discontinuity then I can understand it.

Does the graph look right to you and what would the bending moment at the point 0.1m actually be? Surely it can't exist in those two states at once so is it simply zero?

Thanks,

Kalus

Last edited by a moderator:
A few points here. First, your bending moment diagram is correct.

Second, it is useful to draw a shear diagram before drawing the moment diagram; you should find it helpful in not only determining the bending moment diagram, but also as a check of your values for Ra and Rb .

Thirdly, the moment changes abruptly at the 0.1 m mark. Both moments are valid...one exists infinitesimally to the left of the point, the other infinitesimally to the right of the point, but beam design would be governed by the higher value. In reality, there is no such such thing as a concentrated point load or couple, it acts over some small length greater than 0, but mathematically, treating it as acting at a point is no problem, and the discontinuity accounts for the reson of the infinite change over zero distance..

Edit: I missed a minus sign, and have edited my response. Your diagram is correct. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
See my edited response above. I misread the direction of the P load..your diagram is correct, sorry for error!

1. What is a bending moment diagram?

A bending moment diagram is a graphical representation of the variation of bending moment along the length of a beam. It shows the magnitude and direction of the bending moment at different points along the beam.

2. How is a bending moment diagram calculated?

A bending moment diagram is calculated by determining the bending moment at specific points along the beam, using the equations of static equilibrium and the properties of the beam, such as its length, load, and support conditions. These values are then plotted on a graph to create the bending moment diagram.

3. What is the significance of a bending moment diagram?

A bending moment diagram is important in structural analysis as it helps engineers and designers understand the internal forces and stresses that a beam is subjected to under different loading conditions. It also helps in determining the maximum bending moment and the location of critical points on the beam.

4. How does a point load affect a bending moment diagram?

A point load, also known as a concentrated load, is a single force applied at a specific point on the beam. This type of load creates a single peak or dip in the bending moment diagram at the location of the load. The magnitude of the peak or dip is equal to the magnitude of the point load.

5. Can a bending moment diagram be used for any type of beam?

Yes, a bending moment diagram can be used for any type of beam, including cantilever beams, simply supported beams, and overhanging beams. The shape and magnitude of the bending moment diagram will vary depending on the type of beam and the loading conditions.