Can a Cantilever Beam with a 20 lb Mass Hold Up without Failing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a cantilever steel beam with a 20 lb mass at the end of it. The beam is made of carbon steel ASTM A108 and has a cross section of 0.5" x 2". The conversation covers calculations for bending stress and yield stress, as well as potential solutions for mitigating stress in the beam, such as adding a truss feature or using a thicker piece of material. The conversation also mentions the need to consider other factors such as fixed end connection design, bolt design, and potential twisting or sidewards load. Finally, there is discussion of using a stronger shape, like a steel tubing, for the vertical section of the beam and possibly adding 45 degree braces
NewEngineer
What's happening Form,
It's been a while since I've done a FBD, but I wanted to get someone's input here and tell me if my math/logic is correct. I want to install a cantilever steel beam with a 20 lb mass at the end of it. I'm using carbon steel ASTM A108 (cheapest steel on McMaster-carr). I plan on the cross section being 0.5" x 2". According to the math below, the beam should not fail correct? As long as the bending stress is lower than the yield stress we should be ok, correct? Is there something else I should take into consideration here?

Also, the mass on the end of the beam may be pull in direction coming out from the page. Would adding a truss feature help negate the stress in the beam, or is best option to use a thicker piece of material?

upload_2017-4-25_8-19-41.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
NewEngineer said:
What's happening Form,
It's been a while since I've done a FBD, but I wanted to get someone's input here and tell me if my math/logic is correct. I want to install a cantilever steel beam with a 20 lb mass at the end of it. I'm using carbon steel ASTM A108 (cheapest steel on McMaster-carr). I plan on the cross section being 0.5" x 2". According to the math below, the beam should not fail correct? As long as the bending stress is lower than the yield stress we should be ok, correct? Is there something else I should take into consideration here?

Also, the mass on the end of the beam may be pull in direction coming out from the page. Would adding a truss feature help negate the stress in the beam, or is best option to use a thicker piece of material?

View attachment 196882
Don't forget to apply a safety factor when checking the actual stress against the yield stress, but your stress is very low according to your calculation which is correct, so the beam is theoretically more than adequate. In the other direction which is much weaker, the bending stress ,and deflection into the plane of the page, depends on what force into the plane of the page at the free end is applied. You don't give that info and calculation.

PhanthomJay said:
Don't forget to apply a safety factor when checking the actual stress against the yield stress, but your stress is very low according to your calculation which is correct, so the beam is theoretically more than adequate. In the other direction which is much weaker, the bending stress ,and deflection into the plane of the page, depends on what force into the plane of the page at the free end is applied. You don't give that info and calculation.

Thanks for your reply. As far as the force that will be applied (coming out of the page) I can't really provide too much info here. In reality I will be bolting a 20 Lb mass on the h side of this beam (at the end), so I perhaps need to take twisting stress into consideration as well. The mass will have an arm that can be extended so the operator will pull the arm (out of the page). Is there a better set up that I can design for this?

NewEngineer said:
Thanks for your reply. As far as the force that will be applied (coming out of the page) I can't really provide too much info here. In reality I will be bolting a 20 Lb mass on the h side of this beam (at the end), so I perhaps need to take twisting stress into consideration as well. The mass will have an arm that can be extended so the operator will pull the arm (out of the page). Is there a better set up that I can design for this?
If this is an actual project, I hesitate to reply because there are other factors to consider like fixed end connection design, bolt design, steel plate details, possible twisting, unknown sidewards load, etc. The plate is considerably weaker under the 'out of page' load than it is under the mass weight load, and will likely control the design. You may want to consider bracing it to the wall in that direction, and/or using a beam shape other than a plate.

PhanthomJay said:
If this is an actual project, I hesitate to reply because there are other factors to consider like fixed end connection design, bolt design, steel plate details, possible twisting, unknown sidewards load, etc. The plate is considerably weaker under the 'out of page' load than it is under the mass weight load, and will likely control the design. You may want to consider bracing it to the wall in that direction, and/or using a beam shape other than a plate.

I agree. There is no wall around the installation. I was hoping to bolt the cantilever beam to a vertical building support column (20 inches to the left) but, what I may now do is install a vertical column directly below my device, and brace that to the support column.

NewEngineer said:
I agree. There is no wall around the installation. I was hoping to bolt the cantilever beam to a vertical building support column (20 inches to the left) but, what I may now do is install a vertical column directly below my device, and brace that to the support column.
but the beam should be braced the other way due to the 'out
of page' unspecified load,.you might want to consider a stronger shape, like a piece of steel tubing

PhanthomJay said:
but the beam should be braced the other way due to the 'out
of page' unspecified load,.you might want to consider a stronger shape, like a piece of steel tubing

Yes we would use some type of tubing for the vertical section, not the 1/2 x 2" piece of steel. If needed, we could install 45o braces at the bottom of the vertical tube.

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at only one end, while the other end is free to move. It is often used in engineering and construction to create overhangs or support structures with no external support on one side.

2. How does a cantilever beam work?

A cantilever beam works by transferring the load applied at the unsupported end to the fixed support at the other end. This is achieved through bending and shear forces, which are distributed along the length of the beam to maintain its stability and balance the applied load.

3. What factors affect the strength of a cantilever beam?

The strength of a cantilever beam is affected by several factors, including the material of the beam, its cross-sectional shape and size, the type of load applied, and the length of the beam. The geometry of the beam, such as the location of the fixed support and any additional supports, also plays a role in its strength.

4. How do you calculate the deflection of a cantilever beam?

The deflection of a cantilever beam can be calculated using equations based on the beam's properties and the applied load. These equations take into account factors such as the beam's length, cross-sectional area, and Young's modulus of elasticity. Advanced mathematical methods, such as integration, may also be used for more complex beam configurations.

5. What are some common applications of cantilever beams?

Cantilever beams have a wide range of applications in different fields, including construction, architecture, and engineering. They are often used in the design of bridges, balconies, and roofs, as well as in the manufacturing of cranes, shelves, and diving boards. They can also be found in everyday objects, such as diving boards, flagpoles, and bicycle frames.