Statics, forces in each memeber of a truss

In summary, the author attempted to solve the forces equations at the joint D, but he saw that he needed three unknown quantities (ED, BD, and CD) and he was not able to solve the equations. He found another way to solve the problem by using torques and using point C as a pivot.
jonjacson

Homework Statement

I´ll show the problem with a picture:

izvnkh.jpg

Homework Equations

Sum forces = 0 ;

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I tried to solve the forces equations at the joint D, but I see three unkown quantities ED, BD and CD, and I have two equations, one for the X axis, and one for the Y axis so I cannot solve... or that´s what I thought until I saw that the book gives numerical answers to the problem.

So, Anybody knows how to get three unkown quantities from two equations?

I´m not able to do that, and until 5 minutes ago I thought it was impossible.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the relevant equations and look carefully at them. See what cancels.

Ok, I´ll try it:

I assume ED and BD pointing towards the right, positive sense, so DC is pointing downwards, it´s supposed that the equations will confirm if this is correct or not, so:

x axis--> -2 + ED + BD cos (45) = 0

y axis---> BD sin(45) - DC = 0

Well I could substract the second equation from the first and I would get:

-2 + DC + ED = 0, but I cannot solve yet.

Am I doing something wrong?

THanks for your answer.

I made a mistake. I think your equations are correct.

Ok.

If it helps I show the answers from the book:

AB=BE=CD= 1 KN T

AE = BD = 1,414 KN C

BC = 2 KN T, DE= 1KN C

T is tension and C compression

Maybe I should start with another joint but I don´t have any data, so it looks like a nonsense.

Now that I think about it more, you might have to write a free body diagram for more than 1 node.

Try this approach. Use torques. Using point C as a pivot the CCW torque from the 2 kn force is 2X3 = 6. Now what must the force in member AE be in order to counter the torque. Knowing AE you can find DE and the problem is solvable (I think).

barryj said:
Try this approach. Use torques. Using point C as a pivot the CCW torque from the 2 kn force is 2X3 = 6. Now what must the force in member AE be in order to counter the torque. Knowing AE you can find DE and the problem is solvable (I think).

Yes you are right.

IF you try it with the method of joints you cannot solve it with only the first joint. I don´t know if using all the joints it´s possible to get the answer.

You have to use the fbd for the whole structure and you start at A.

Thank you very much!

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves the analysis of forces and their effects on rigid bodies or structures.

2. What is a truss?

A truss is a structure composed of interconnected members that are designed to support loads by transferring them to end supports or other structures. It is typically made of straight, slender elements connected at joints.

3. How do you calculate the forces in each member of a truss?

The forces in each member of a truss can be calculated using the method of joints or the method of sections. In the method of joints, the equilibrium of forces at each joint is used to determine the forces in the members connected to that joint. In the method of sections, a cut is made through the truss and the equilibrium of forces on one side of the cut is used to determine the forces in the members on that side.

4. What factors affect the forces in each member of a truss?

The forces in each member of a truss are affected by the external loads applied to the truss, the geometry of the truss, and the material properties of the members. The angle and magnitude of the external loads, the length and orientation of the members, and the stiffness of the materials used can all impact the forces in each member.

5. How do you ensure the truss is stable and can support the applied loads?

To ensure the stability of a truss and its ability to support the applied loads, it is important to consider the overall design and geometry of the truss. The joints and connections must be properly designed to handle the forces and moments applied to them. Additionally, the materials used must have sufficient strength and stiffness to withstand the forces in each member. Computer simulations and physical testing may also be used to verify the stability and load capacity of a truss design.