Statics problem, analysis of a frame

In summary, the conversation focuses on solving a problem involving a system of forces on a vertical bar, with the given equations ƩF_y=0, ƩF_x=0, and ƩM=0. The conversation includes discussions on isolating different parts of the system, using force triangles, writing equations for different members, and using similar triangles to find the distances between points. The final solution is found using the law of sines and following the equilibrium equations. The conversation also briefly mentions the importance of considering directions in setting up equations, as well as the potential challenges in dynamic problems involving net torque.
yaro99

Homework Statement

4P7QgCd.png

Homework Equations

ƩF_y=0
ƩF_x=0
ƩM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The weight of the wire is 500*16=8000lb

I isolated each part of the system:
qY0RlEe.png

Using a force triangle on the cross section of the wire, knowing it is a 345 triangle:
8000/4=B/3=D/5
B=6 kips
D=10 kips

I wrote equations for members ABC and CDE:

for ABC:
ƩMA = 6*d1 + 9*Cx = 0

for CDE:
ƩME = 10*d2 - 6*Cx + 8*Cy = 0

d1 and d2 are the vertical distance from A to B, and the diagonal distance from D to E, respectively. This is what I had trouble finding.
I tried using similar triangles:
4PxdqRw.png

5/8 = a/10 = (3+b)/6
b=0.75ft
d2=6.25ft

Since b is 0.75, d1 = 9 - 6 + 1.5 + 0.75 = 5.25ft

Plugging these into the above equations, I get Cx = 3.5kips, and Cy = 10.4 kips, which are not the right answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have expected Cx and Ex to point the other way to your diagram.
I think you may need to revisit the distances to the contact points (pipe to frame).
If you put point P at the center of the pipe, then what do you notice about the triangles CBP and CDP, and, therefore the relative lengths. You know the radius of the pipe and the angle BCP.

note: suggest you use d=|CD| and b=|CB| to ease typing ;)

yaro99 said:
for ABC:
ƩMA = 6*d1 + 9*Cx = 0

Check the signs in the above equation. (Maybe just a typo.)

4PxdqRw.png

The vertical side of the green triangle is not tangent to the right side of the pipe. So, I don't think that the horizontal side of the green triangle is 5 ft.

Maybe you can use the red triangle shown in the attachment to find the distance between D and C.

[EDIT: Oops. I see Simon posted while I was busy constructing my post.]

Attachments

• statics.png
    statics.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 488
yaro99 said:
Judging from your sketch, you seem to have assumed that a vertical line tangential to the RHS of the pipe and a horizontal line tangential to the underside of the pipe will intersect CDE at the same point. That is not the case.

yaro99 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I isolated each part of the system:
qY0RlEe.png

Just curious as how the vertical bar will remain static if there are no force vectors down?

pgardn said:
Just curious as how the vertical bar will remain static if there are no force vectors down?

Right, there must be a downward force. But it's ok to set it up as in the free body diagram. In working out the equations, you will just find that Cy is negative which indicates it's actually downward on the vertical rod and upward on the other rod.

TSny said:
Right, there must be a downward force. But it's ok to set it up as in the free body diagram. In working out the equations, you will just find that Cy is negative which indicates it's actually downward on the vertical rod and upward on the other rod.

Yes.

Directions are pretty important for the diagonal rod in setting up your equations because as drawn you have 3 vertical forces or components of those forces. As drawn, the force labeled Ey will come out too large if one decided to start there.

Thanks everyone for the help, I figured it out.
Using the triangle method suggested, with triangles BCP and PCD, I found that angle BCP = angle PCD = 1/2 angle BCD = (1/2)*arctan(8/6) = 26.6°

using the law of sines for BCP:
1.5/sin(26.6) = b/sin(63.4)
b = 3ft

and for PCD:
1.5/sin(26.6) = d/sin(63.4)
d = 3ft

where
d=|CD| and b=|CB|

this makes d1 = 9 - 3 = 6ft, and d2 = 10 - 3 = 7ft
Plugging these into my equilibrium equations (and fixing my error in the ƩMA equation) I get the correct answers.

To find Ex and Ey I just used ƩFx=0 and ƩFy=0 for member CDE.

pgardn said:
Yes.

Directions are pretty important for the diagonal rod in setting up your equations because as drawn you have 3 vertical forces or components of those forces. As drawn, the force labeled Ey will come out too large if one decided to start there.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I believe TSny is right in saying that it shouldn't matter. They are just assumed directions. If my answer comes out negative, the direction will be opposite of what it is on the diagram.

yaro99 said:
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I believe TSny is right in saying that it shouldn't matter. They are just assumed directions. If my answer comes out negative, the direction will be opposite of what it is on the diagram.

I did the problem and made a math error. I then had two mistakes to correct because I also messed up on the direction of a force to begin with. Either way it did not work out so it resolved itself. Just took longer. I also should have started with the vertical bar using the knowns from the pipe.
Then again I drew similar triangles which eventually brought me right to the law of sines. So I did things the long way from the start.

For dynamics with a net torque it can become very troubling.

pgardn said:
I did the problem and made a math error. I then had two mistakes to correct because I also messed up on the direction of a force to begin with. Either way it did not work out so it resolved itself. Just took longer. I also should have started with the vertical bar using the knowns from the pipe.
Then again I drew similar triangles which eventually brought me right to the law of sines. So I did things the long way from the start.

For dynamics with a net torque it can become very troubling.

Ok thanks, good to keep in mind.

Related to Statics problem, analysis of a frame

1. What is a frame in statics?

A frame in statics refers to a structure that is composed of structural elements, such as beams and columns, connected at their joints. These elements are designed to support loads and distribute them to the ground or other supports.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing a frame in statics?

The purpose of analyzing a frame in statics is to determine the internal forces and reactions acting on each structural element. This information is crucial in designing and constructing a safe and efficient frame structure.

3. What are the different types of forces that can act on a frame?

The different types of forces that can act on a frame include axial forces (tension or compression), shear forces, and bending moments. These forces can be caused by external loads, such as weight or wind, or internal forces due to the frame's own weight and geometry.

4. How do you solve a statics problem for a frame?

To solve a statics problem for a frame, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the frame, isolating each structural element and showing all external and internal forces acting on it. Then, apply the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a body must equal zero. Finally, solve for the unknown forces and reactions using algebraic equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing a frame in statics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing a frame in statics include overlooking or misreading the given information, not considering all forces and moments acting on the frame, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, double-check all calculations, and verify the results make sense in the context of the problem.