Statics ladder and friction less wall question

In summary, we discussed a problem involving statics where a window washer tries to lean a ladder against a frictionless wall but finds that the ladder slips at an angle less than 75 degrees. We were asked to find the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground. We also discussed another problem involving statics where we had to estimate the force required for an average person to roll a wheelchair over a sidewalk curb. We learned that for any static problem, it is helpful to draw a force diagram and use the conditions for equilibrium. After attempting the problem, we found that the correct answer is tan(15)/2.
TN17
I was given a problem based on statics and I was wondering if anyone could help.

A window washer attempts to lean a ladder against a frictionless wall. He finds that the ladder slips on the ground when it is placed at an angle of less than 75◦ to the ground but remains in place when the angle is greater than 75◦. Find the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground

AND

Estimate the magnitude of the force F an average person must apply to a wheelchair’s main wheel to roll up over a sidewalk curb. This main wheel, which is the one that comes in contact with the curb, has a radius r, and the height of the curb is h.

Thank you - we just learned the concepts of statics TODAY and were given an assignment immediately, so any help would be appreciated. :)

I know that:
To be static, Torque net =0 and that Torque = F(r) Sin Theta
I don't know how to go on further from there, though.
I think I do need to split it into components and set the net F to 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you give it a try first: draw a force diagram, write down some equations. Remember the conditions for equilibrium: there should be no net force on the ladder, and no net torque about any point.

Mu = tan(75)

Any static probem - try drawing a FBD and identify all the forces along all axis. Find out how many unknowns and then use the static equilibrium equations (summation of forces and moments along the individual axis is zero).

However complex the problem may be, a FBD helps to solve all statics and dynamic problems!

venkatg said:
Mu = tan(75)

I don't understand how you got there...?
I've attempted the question, but I don't understand. :S

Hint:

Only the ground can provide a vertical reaction force and not the wall (no friction assumption). The ladder slips if the horizontal component of the force exceeds the frictional force. Frictional force = mu * vertical reaction (m*g as all load is borne by it)

The compression (horizontal component) in the ladder along its length is what causes a horizontal force.

TN17 said:
I don't understand how you got there...?
I've attempted the question, but I don't understand. :S

Well, the angle measured from the ground is 75, the actual result must be tan(90-75) = tan15

venkatg said:
Mu = tan(75)
venkatg said:
Well, the angle measured from the ground is 75, the actual result must be tan(90-75) = tan15

This is incorrect. The weight of the ladder, assumed uniform, acts at the center of gravity of the ladder, at its midpoint. Sum torques = 0 about the base, and use the equilibrium equations in the x (Fx_net = 0) and y (Fy_net = 0) directions. As noted, there is no vertical reaction force at the wall.

oh yes, the anwer is tan(15)/2

1. What is a statics ladder?

A statics ladder is a type of ladder that is used in a statics problem, which is a type of engineering problem that deals with the balance of forces and moments. In a statics ladder problem, the ladder is assumed to be at rest and the forces acting on it are analyzed in order to determine its stability.

2. How is a statics ladder problem solved?

A statics ladder problem is solved by first drawing a free-body diagram of the ladder, which shows all the external forces acting on it. The ladder is then divided into two parts, and the forces acting on each part are analyzed separately. The equations of static equilibrium are then used to determine the unknown forces and moments, and the stability of the ladder can be evaluated based on the results.

3. What is a frictionless wall in a statics ladder problem?

A frictionless wall is a theoretical concept used in statics problems that assumes the wall has no resistance to movement or sliding. In a statics ladder problem, a frictionless wall would be one that the ladder is leaning against, and it would not provide any friction or resistance to the ladder's movement.

4. Why is friction ignored in a statics ladder problem?

In a statics ladder problem, friction is often ignored because it is assumed to be negligible compared to the other forces acting on the ladder. This is because the weight of the ladder and the weight of the person on the ladder are usually much greater than the friction force, so it can be safely ignored in the analysis.

5. How is the stability of a ladder determined in a statics problem?

The stability of a ladder in a statics problem is determined by analyzing the forces and moments acting on the ladder and ensuring that they are in equilibrium. This means that the sum of the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions must be equal to zero, and the sum of the moments about any point must also be equal to zero. If these conditions are met, the ladder will be in a stable position.