Statics Questions involving finding forces

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the force given by contact with point B and the vertical force on the spring. The direction of the force at B is also being considered through a free body diagram.
Kalookakoo

Homework Statement

http://ft.trillian.im/b0f9eae6eee2cb82091d0bd460ed09948b0cf819/6bh6EcByYLCp8YJWVJ5pqqnrqKcIY.jpg

Homework Equations

Fx= Fcos(theta)
Fy=Fsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with number one, I can't understand how to find the force given by that contact by B. The vertical force on the spring can be found by the given constant and distance of course.

I can't even see the forces on the other 2. So hard to visualize a FBD >.<

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kalookakoo! :smile:
Kalookakoo said:
Starting with number one, I can't understand how to find the force given by that contact by B.

The force between the roller and that thing at the bottom must be perpendicular to the surface (so through the centre, B, of the roller) …

so, doing a free body diagram for the roller on its own, the direction of the force at B must be … ? :wink:

1. What is the difference between internal and external forces?

Internal forces are forces that act within a system or object, while external forces are forces that act on the system or object from outside. Internal forces are typically caused by interactions between different parts of the system, while external forces can be caused by objects or systems outside of the main system.

2. How do I calculate the resultant force of multiple forces acting on an object?

To calculate the resultant force, you need to find the sum of all the forces acting on the object. This can be done by breaking down each force into its components and using vector addition to find the overall result. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant force and trigonometric functions to find its direction.

3. What is the difference between a force vector and a scalar quantity?

A force vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar quantity only has magnitude. This means that a force vector can be represented graphically as an arrow, with the length representing the magnitude and the direction representing the direction of the force. Scalar quantities, on the other hand, can only be represented by a number.

4. How can I determine the equilibrium of a system using statics?

To determine the equilibrium of a system, you need to analyze the forces acting on the system. If the sum of all the forces is equal to zero, then the system is in equilibrium. This means that the system is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. If the sum of the forces is not equal to zero, then the system is not in equilibrium and will experience acceleration in the direction of the resultant force.

5. How do I apply the principle of moments to solve statics problems?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. To apply this principle to solve statics problems, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object and calculate their respective moments. Then, you can set up an equation and solve for any unknown forces or distances.