Statistics: Polls and probability

In summary, the conversation is discussing the probability of proposition A passing, which requires at least 50% of voters to vote yes. The formula used to calculate this probability is P = (n+1)! / (m!(n-m)!) * f^m * (1-f)^(n-m), where m is 480, n is 1000, and f is equal to M/N. The normal approximation is also mentioned, with the formula P ∝ exp(-(n*(f-f0)^2)/(2*f0*(1-f0))), where f0 is the mean, m/n. The next step in finding the probability is not mentioned.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

At a poll in America, where 1000 people have been asked, 480 people said that they would vote yes on proposition A (it is a fictive proposition), and of course 520 people said they would vote no on proposition A.

I have to find the probability that proposition A will pass.

What I have done is to use the following formula:

[tex]
P = \frac{{(n + 1)!}}{{m!(n - m)!}}f^m (1 - f)^{n - m},
[/tex]

which has been derived in class. Here m is 480, n is 1000. P is the probability of M persons answering "yes" out of N total (so N is the total amount of people in America voting, and M is the amount in America that votes "yes") when we have a sample of n (1000), where m (480) have answered "yes". f is equal to M/N.

My attempt is that if more than 50% vote yes, then prop. A will pass. So I want to integrate P from N/2 to N, but it is not a continuous distribution. I thought of finding P for N/2 (i.e. that 50% will answer "yes"), but that is only the probability of 50% answering yes, and does not include the rest from > 50%.

What would be the most proper approach to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The proposition will pass if at least 50% of the voters vote for it, so your basic idea is correct.
Try the normal approximation to find the probability you need.

Hi statdad

Thanks for replying. The normal approximation gives us:

[tex]
P \propto \exp \left( { - n\frac{{(f - f_0 )^2 }}{{2f_0 (1 - f_0 )}}} \right),
[/tex]

where f0 is the mean, i.e. m/n. This is still a discrete distribution, so what is the next step from here?

Thanks in advance.

1. What is the purpose of conducting polls in statistics?

Polls are conducted in statistics to gather data and insights about a particular population or sample. This data is then used to make predictions, analyze trends, and inform decision making.

2. How are polls conducted?

Polls can be conducted through various methods such as online surveys, telephone interviews, or in-person interviews. The sample size and selection process are important factors in ensuring the accuracy and representativeness of the poll results.

3. What is probability and how is it used in statistics?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. In statistics, probability is used to calculate the chances of a certain outcome happening based on the data collected from polls or experiments.

4. Can polls always accurately predict outcomes?

No, polls are not always accurate in predicting outcomes. They are based on a sample of the population and there is always a margin of error. However, by using proper sampling techniques and a large enough sample size, poll results can provide a good estimation of the actual population.

5. How can I make sense of the numbers and statistics presented in polls?

It is important to pay attention to the sample size, margin of error, and confidence level when interpreting the numbers and statistics presented in polls. Additionally, understanding the context and methodology of the poll can also help in making sense of the results.