1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics: Polls and probability

1. Dec 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

At a poll in America, where 1000 people have been asked, 480 people said that they would vote yes on proposition A (it is a fictive proposition), and of course 520 people said they would vote no on proposition A.

I have to find the probability that proposition A will pass.

What I have done is to use the following formula:

P = \frac{{(n + 1)!}}{{m!(n - m)!}}f^m (1 - f)^{n - m},

which has been derived in class. Here m is 480, n is 1000. P is the probability of M persons answering "yes" out of N total (so N is the total amount of people in America voting, and M is the amount in America that votes "yes") when we have a sample of n (1000), where m (480) have answered "yes". f is equal to M/N.

My attempt is that if more than 50% vote yes, then prop. A will pass. So I want to integrate P from N/2 to N, but it is not a continous distribution. I thought of finding P for N/2 (i.e. that 50% will answer "yes"), but that is only the probability of 50% answering yes, and does not include the rest from > 50%.

What would be the most proper approach to this problem?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

The proposition will pass if at least 50% of the voters vote for it, so your basic idea is correct.
    Try the normal approximation to find the probability you need.
  4. Dec 30, 2008 #3
    Hi statdad

Thanks for replying. The normal approximation gives us:

P \propto \exp \left( { - n\frac{{(f - f_0 )^2 }}{{2f_0 (1 - f_0 )}}} \right),

where f0 is the mean, i.e. m/n. This is still a discrete distribution, so what is the next step from here?

Thanks in advance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?