1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump

1. Aug 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm not too sure about my attempt to this question, but what is the simplified Steady Flow Energy Equation for a water pump that has one inlet at the bottom and one outlet at the top, and a work input?

2. Relevant equations
    Q^ = W^ + m^[(h2 - h1) + 1/2 (c22 - c12) + g(z1 - z2)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attached a picture of my attempt to the solution to this thread. IMG_0474.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2
    Is there a question here?

Chet

4. Aug 31, 2015 #3
    Yes, my question, as stated already, is

My attempt to the solution along with the picture of what I'm talking about is attached too...as well as the steady-flow energy equation that I need to be simplified for this particular situation.
    Is my simplification correct? If not, please advise further

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. Aug 31, 2015 #4
    Yes. It looks like what you did is correct. With regard to the Δh, don't forget to include the Δp/ρ term.

Chet

6. Aug 31, 2015 #5
    @Chestermiller , okay, but isn't that already included, as h = u + pv ?

7. Aug 31, 2015 #6
    Yes. But some people would have just written Δh=CΔT. Since I don't know you, I was unaware of whether you might make that mistake.

Chet

8. Aug 31, 2015 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted