Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump

In summary, the simplified Steady Flow Energy Equation for a water pump with one inlet at the bottom and one outlet at the top, and a work input, is Q^ = W^ + m^[(h2 - h1) + 1/2 (c22 - c12) + g(z1 - z2)]. This equation includes the terms for enthalpy, kinetic energy, potential energy, and work input. The simplification also takes into account the change in pressure over density. It is important to include all relevant terms in the equation to ensure accuracy.
KingDaniel

Homework Statement

I'm not too sure about my attempt to this question, but what is the simplified Steady Flow Energy Equation for a water pump that has one inlet at the bottom and one outlet at the top, and a work input?

Homework Equations

Q^ = W^ + m^[(h2 - h1) + 1/2 (c22 - c12) + g(z1 - z2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached a picture of my attempt to the solution to this thread.
IMG_0474.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question here?

Chet

Yes, my question, as stated already, is

KingDaniel said:
what is the simplified Steady Flow Energy Equation for a water pump that has one inlet at the bottom and one outlet at the top, and a work input?

My attempt to the solution along with the picture of what I'm talking about is attached too...as well as the steady-flow energy equation that I need to be simplified for this particular situation.
Is my simplification correct? If not, please advise further

Last edited:
Yes. It looks like what you did is correct. With regard to the Δh, don't forget to include the Δp/ρ term.

Chet

@Chestermiller , okay, but isn't that already included, as h = u + pv ?

KingDaniel said:
@Chestermiller , okay, but isn't that already included, as h = u + pv ?
Yes. But some people would have just written Δh=CΔT. Since I don't know you, I was unaware of whether you might make that mistake.

Chet

What is the Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump?

The Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the energy supplied to a water pump and the energy output in the form of work. It is also known as the Bernoulli's equation.

What are the components of the Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump?

The components of the Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump are kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy. These energies are considered to be conserved in an ideal system.

How is the Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump used in practical applications?

The Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump is used in various practical applications such as designing water pumps, calculating the efficiency of a water pump, and analyzing the flow of fluids in pipelines or channels.

What are the assumptions made in the Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump?

The Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump makes several assumptions, including steady flow (constant mass flow rate), incompressible fluid, and negligible friction losses.

What is the importance of the Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump in fluid mechanics?

The Steady Flow Energy Equation for a Water Pump is one of the fundamental equations in fluid mechanics. It helps in understanding the behavior of fluids in motion and is essential in the design and analysis of various hydraulic systems.