Steady-State Temperature Distribution of a circular disk

In summary, the homework statement is a circular disc of radius a is heated in such a way that its perimeter r=a has a steady temperature distribution A+B \cos ^2 \phi where r and \phi are plane polar coordiantes and A and B are constants. Find the temperature T(\
rhouli67

Homework Statement

A circular disc of radius a is heated in such a way that its perimeter [itex]r=a[/itex] has a steady temperature distribution [itex]A+B \cos ^2 \phi [/itex] where r and [itex]\phi[/itex] are plane polar coordiantes and A and B are constants. Find the temperature [itex]T(\rho, \phi)[/itex] everywhere in the region [itex]\rho < a[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I have been able to come to a few conclusions. First i assumed we should use the diffusion equation
[itex]\nabla ^2 u = \frac{1}{\alpha ^2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]

Since we are talking about a steady state problem
[itex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = 0[/itex]
and thus we get the Laplace
[itex]\nabla^2 u = 0 [/itex]
Laplaces equation in 2d polar coordinates is
[itex]\nabla ^2 u = \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left ( r \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \right ) + \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial \phi ^2} [/itex]
and we assume a solution of the form
[itex]u = R(r) \Phi(\phi) [/itex]
and thus
[itex] \frac{1}{R}\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left ( r \frac{\partial R}{\partial r} \right ) + \frac{1}{\Phi}\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial ^2 \Phi}{\partial \phi ^2} = 0 [/itex]
[itex] \frac{r^2}{R}\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left ( r \frac{\partial R}{\partial r} \right ) + \frac{1}{\Phi}\frac{\partial ^2 \Phi}{\partial \phi ^2} = 0 [/itex]
and thus
[itex] \frac{\partial^2 \Phi}{\partial \phi^2} + n^2 \Phi = 0 \rightarrow \Phi = c_1 cos(n\phi) + c_2 sin(n\phi) [/itex]
and
[itex]r^2\frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2} - n^2 R = 0 \rightarrow R = e^n + e^{-n} [/itex]
and the solutions for u become
[itex]u = \{ (e^n + e^{-n})cos(n\phi) \}, \{ (e^n + e^{-n})sin(n\phi) \} [/itex]

This is how far i have gotten. I am not sure if it is completley correct. If it is any hints on where to go from here would be great. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently working on the same problem exactly and I came up with the same general solution. I tried to apply the boundary conditions when r=a, but that got me nowhere useful and I can't think of any other useful boundary conditions to apply.

The only place where I was able to eliminate one part of the solution is when you look at the exponential solutions when n goes to infinity, one of the exponentials gives an unphysical result.

How i looked at it was the temperature at the center of the disk could no approach infinity so i eliminated the [itex]e^n[/itex] term. Since the Distribution is based on a [itex]cos^2[/itex] term maby we can eliminate the [itex]sin[/itex] term as well. Giving us [itex] u = c_1e^{-n}cos(n \phi) [/itex] where [itex]c_1[/itex] is some constant. Not sure where to go from there then though.

I saw somewhere online that the Fourier series expansion can be used to find the coefficients. If you notice, the solution with only the e-n term but including both the sine and cosine terms resembles the Fourier series expansion. Then the coefficients can be found using the formula to find the coefficients for the Fourier series. Unfortunately when I tried that I had both an and bn terms come out to zero, which I don't think is correct.

ok, so I reread the online source, first the exponential should be a power function in the form [itex]r^{n}[/itex] and [itex]r^{-n}[/itex] and then the [itex]r^{-n}[/itex] term should be removed because this blows up when r=0.

Related to Steady-State Temperature Distribution of a circular disk

1. What is the steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk?

The steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk refers to the pattern of temperature distribution that the disk reaches when it is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that there is no net flow of heat within the disk. This temperature distribution is maintained over time as long as the external conditions remain constant.

2. How is the steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk calculated?

The steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk is calculated using the heat equation, which takes into account the thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and boundary conditions of the disk. This equation can be solved using numerical methods or analytically for simple cases.

3. What factors affect the steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk?

The steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk is affected by several factors, including the thermal properties of the disk material, the size and shape of the disk, the boundary conditions at the edges of the disk, and the external temperature and heat sources. These factors all play a role in determining the final temperature distribution of the disk.

4. How does the steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk change over time?

Once the steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk is reached, it will remain constant as long as the external conditions do not change. However, if the external temperature or heat sources change, the temperature distribution will also change until a new steady-state is reached.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk?

The study of the steady-state temperature distribution of a circular disk has many practical applications, including in the design and optimization of heat exchangers, electronic components, and thermal insulation systems. This knowledge can also be applied to understand the behavior of natural systems, such as the temperature distribution of the Earth's crust or the flow of heat within a star.