Calculating Steel Rope for Cole Mine - Load of 3500 kg at -500m

In summary, to lift a load of 3500 kg from an underground level of -500 m in a coal mine, a steel rope made from steel wire rod with a diameter of 2.8 mm is needed. The allowed stress for the steel rope is 60 N/mm². To calculate the necessary section area of the rope, one must use the formula F = Stress * Area and the fact that the allowable stress applies to each rod in the rope. The necessary number of wire rod strands in the steel rope can be found by dividing the area of the rope by the area of each rod. The mass (weight) of the rope must also be taken into consideration when calculating the force needed to lift the load. Therefore, the length
teng125
A steel rope in a cole mine should lift a load of 3500 kg from an underground level of -500 m. The rope is made from steel wire rod. The allowed stress in the steel rope is 60 N/mm².
a) Calculate the necessary section area of the rope and the necessary number of wire rod strands in the steel rope when a wire rod diameter of 2,8 mm is used.

smby pls teach me how to do pls

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see some work on your part first.

i know the formula stress = mg / area , is "calculate the necessary section area of the rope " means find A=(pi/4)*d^2 ??

while "necessary number of wire rod strands in the steel rope ",i don't know what it means.

pls help,i really need to know it

anybody knows how to solve this question...

Calculate the necessary section area of the rope and the necessary number of wire rod strands in the steel rope when a wire rod diameter of 2,8 mm is used.
Ok, the steel rope is composed of parallel rods. Each rod bears a portion of the load. The allowable stress (60 N/mm²) applys to each rod.

So F = Stress * Area, which means F(max) = Stress(max) * Area

And F(rope) = N * F(rod).

Area(Rope) = N * Area(rod)

Also, the mass (weight) of the rope will contribute to the force (load). So one must calulate the weight of the steel rope, mass = density * volume = density * area * length.

Last edited:
so the length is 500m in the case above??

so the length is 500m in the case above??

i mean the length of the rope is 500m and is the mass of the rope equals to the load that it is going to lift??i can't find the area and weight of the rope

pls help
thanx

1. How do you calculate the strength of steel rope for a specific load and depth?

To calculate the strength of a steel rope, you will need to know the load (in kilograms) and the depth (in meters) at which it will be used. You can then use the formula: Load (kg) x Depth (m) = Minimum Breaking Strength (in kg). In this case, the minimum breaking strength would be 3500 kg x 500 m = 1,750,000 kg.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating the strength of steel rope?

When calculating the strength of steel rope, you should consider the type and grade of the steel, the diameter of the rope, the length of the rope, and the working conditions (such as temperature and corrosion) that the rope will be subjected to. These factors will affect the minimum breaking strength of the rope.

3. How does the load and depth affect the strength of steel rope?

The load and depth at which the steel rope will be used will directly affect its strength. As the load increases, the minimum breaking strength of the rope will also need to increase to support the weight. Similarly, the greater the depth, the higher the minimum breaking strength of the rope will need to be to withstand the pressure and weight at that depth.

4. What safety factors should be considered when calculating steel rope for a coal mine?

When calculating steel rope for a coal mine, safety factors should be taken into account. This includes using a higher minimum breaking strength than the required load, as well as regularly inspecting and maintaining the rope to ensure it meets safety standards. The working conditions and potential hazards in the mine should also be considered when determining the strength of the steel rope.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for calculating steel rope for use in coal mines?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by governing bodies such as the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) in the United States and the Mining Safety and Health Regulations in Canada. These regulations specify the minimum breaking strength and safety factors for steel rope used in coal mines to ensure the safety of workers and equipment.