Steel Soap bars: magnetic core, solid?

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    I bought a Stainless Steel soap bar and it works, it just does. It was from China and hollow inside and I would like to know if that's either a cost cutting measure or how the bar works? What would happen if it were solid?

Another thing would be if it had a magnetic core, or made from a metal that reacted to magnets a lot more so than Stainless Steel already is. How would this affect the perceived working of the device please?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2
    I bet on cheapo cost cutting

4. Apr 27, 2014 #3
    Well it all works on positive and negative charged ions and I was wondering if a hollow/solid core would change that, even more so if it were a different metal in the core i.e. magnetic friendly or how the ions might change if coming into contact with a magnetic field?

Actually, I have seen some of the bars that are not hollow. But they cost more.

5. Apr 28, 2014 #4
    Basically, I would like to create a version of bar myself in which it has a core that can react to a magnetic field in order to levitate it above a surface, that way it should remain cleaner as it will not come into contact with the germs.

So I wanted to know if the magnetic field, a different metal and a solid core would have an affect on the working of the bar itself?

6. Apr 28, 2014 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What's a soap bar in this context? Especially stainless steel ones.

7. Apr 28, 2014 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

8. Apr 29, 2014 #7

Drakkith

The magnetic field wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Levitating and object using solely magnetic fields is inherently unstable and requires electromagnets to work properly if my memory is correct.

9. Apr 29, 2014 #8
    It can be done with pens:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Apr 29, 2014 #9

Drakkith

Read the description:

The pen is actually being pushed to the right, but the motion to the right is being prevented by the plastic barrier.

That's what I mean when I say that magnetic levitation is unstable. You either need a physical barrier to prevent the object from moving, or you need to constantly change the magnetic field using electromagnets.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Apr 29, 2014 #10
    I could handle a little terminator, if tastefully done, but to get it off the ground is my main aim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted