Steel Strength Chart | A36 Square Tubing Tension Strengths

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a chart with A36 square tubing strengths, particularly for tension strength. The suggestion of using Google to find catalogs from suppliers is given, along with the reminder to ask the supplier for the correct yield strength. A resource, MIL-HDBK-5J, is also recommended for material properties. However, it is noted that A36 is not typically used in strength-critical applications and certified material is important for safety-critical applications.
ctstaas
Hi All, I am looking for a chart with A36 square tubing strengths. I am mostly concerned with tension strength but yield and other values might come in handy later. Thanks for you input, Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried google? You can find catalogs from various suppliers of steel tubing if you take a little time to search for them.

You need to ask your supplier to ensure that you use the correct yield strength, as not all grades of steel are equal e.g. S275, S355, S420 etc where 275 is the yield strength in MPa or N/mm2

I've found MIL-HDBK-5J to be an excellent material properties resource that can be found free in PDF form online. That being said, A36 isn't covered in it because A36 typically isn't used in strength-critical applications dues to its material properties compared to other much stronger steel alloys being available.

http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-HDBK/MIL-HDBK-0001-0099/MIL_HDBK_5J_139/

If you have an application where material strength is a design concern, make sure to buy material which has been certified for the strength your design requires. This goes double for safety-critical applications.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out. I can provide some information about A36 square tubing strengths and where you can find a chart to reference.

A36 steel is a low carbon steel that is commonly used in construction and structural applications. It has a minimum yield strength of 36,000 psi and a minimum tensile strength of 58,000-80,000 psi. The exact strength of A36 square tubing will depend on the size and wall thickness of the tubing.

To find a chart with A36 square tubing strengths, I recommend checking with the manufacturer or supplier of the tubing. They should be able to provide you with a chart or technical data sheet that includes the tension strength, yield strength, and other relevant values for the specific size and wall thickness you are looking for.

Additionally, you can also find information on A36 steel and its properties through reputable sources such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI).

I hope this helps and good luck with your research. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

What is a Steel Strength Chart?

A steel strength chart is a graphical representation of the different types of steel and their corresponding strength values. It is used by engineers and scientists to compare the tensile strength of various steel materials.

What is A36 Square Tubing?

A36 square tubing is a type of steel tubing that is commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries. It is made from low carbon steel and has good strength and weldability.

How is Tension Strength Measured?

Tension strength, also known as tensile strength, is measured by the maximum force a material can withstand before breaking under tension. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m2).

What is the Tension Strength of A36 Square Tubing?

The tension strength of A36 square tubing varies depending on the dimensions and manufacturing process. However, it generally has a minimum tensile strength of 58,000 psi and a minimum yield strength of 36,000 psi.

How is the Tensile Strength of Steel Important?

Tensile strength is an important factor to consider when choosing a material for a specific application. It determines the load-bearing capacity and durability of a structure or component, making it crucial in engineering and construction projects.