Stefan-Boltzmann law, luminosity, brightness and magnitude?

In summary, luminosity and power output are both measures of the energy radiated per second in EM radiation of all frequencies. Absolute and apparent magnitudes, on the other hand, refer to the energy from visible light only and are measured on a logarithmic scale. Brightness is a quantitative term and can refer to the luminosity or intensity in a specific spectral band. The magnitude scale is a way to measure the detectability of stars in a given band and is still used despite being an antiquated approach.
21joanna12
From what I understand, in the equation [itex]P=\sigma AT^4[/itex], P is the power output of the star which is the energy radiated per second in EM radiation of all frequencies, and I think luminosity is also defined as the energy radiated per second in EM radiation of all frequencies. Therefore luminosity is equal to power output, so the equation tells us the luminsoty.

But then I get confused trying to relate this to intensity, brightness and magnitudes. I have read than absolute magnitude is a measure of luminosity on a logarithmic scale, and apparent magnitude is a measure of intensity on a logarithmic scale, however it seems to me that both intensity and luminsoty refer to energy from all frequencies of radiation, but absolute and apparent magnitudes refer only to the energy from visible light. I am also trying to figure out how brightness fits in. Is brightness more of a qualitative term and apparent magnitude is a quantitative measure of brightness, and absolute magnitude a quantitative measure of inherent brightness? This would make more sense to me as it seems that brightness and magnitudes refer to visible light only, while lumnosity and intensity refer to EM radiation of all freqencies...

Thank you in advance for any help clearing this up :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are different luminosity scales, and even more magnitude scales.
21joanna12 said:
but absolute and apparent magnitudes refer only to the energy from visible light
Typically, it can also refer to the whole spectrum.
21joanna12 said:
Is brightness more of a qualitative term
I think so.
21joanna12 said:
and apparent magnitude is a quantitative measure of brightness, and absolute magnitude a quantitative measure of inherent brightness?
Right.

21joanna12 said:
I have read than absolute magnitude is a measure of luminosity on a logarithmic scale, and apparent magnitude is a measure of intensity on a logarithmic scale, however it seems to me that both intensity and luminsoty refer to energy from all frequencies of radiation, but absolute and apparent magnitudes refer only to the energy from visible light.
Yes, the magnitude scale is a logarithmic scale, but it is limited to the luminosity in a given band. There's no easy way to convert magnitudes to luminosity, without unpacking the entire awkward magnitude concept into the much more reasonable luminosity per band, and then add up the luminosities in each band.
I am also trying to figure out how brightness fits in. Is brightness more of a qualitative term and apparent magnitude is a quantitative measure of brightness, and absolute magnitude a quantitative measure of inherent brightness?
"Brightness" is a somewhat vague term, but it is quantitative-- it just depends on what you are using it to mean. Above you used "luminosity" and "intensity" in a way that was mainly distinguished by the fact that luminosity doesn't depend on distance while intensity falls off like distance squared. Brightness most likely is meant to also fall off like distance squared, but it might refer to a specific spectral band, presumably some visible band. The magnitude scale takes the luminosity or intensity in a given band, and converts it to a logarithmic scale, but it is intended to apply to old-time filters, which may be more narrow than the whole visible domain. Basically, in this day of CCDs it's an awkward and antiquated approach for talking about how detectable stars would be for some instrument, but it does let you use integers to talk about the detection limit of your instrument in some band. So it's still used. .

Likes 21joanna12 and |Glitch|

1. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law and how does it relate to luminosity?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits. It states that the total energy emitted per unit surface area of an object is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This law is important in understanding the luminosity of stars, as the temperature of a star affects the amount of energy it emits.

2. How is brightness related to luminosity?

Brightness is a measure of the amount of light that reaches our eyes from an object. It is affected by various factors such as distance, size, and reflectivity. Luminosity, on the other hand, is a measure of the total energy emitted by an object. While brightness is dependent on our perspective, luminosity is an intrinsic property of the object. In the case of stars, their luminosity is a more accurate measure of their true brightness.

3. What is the difference between apparent magnitude and absolute magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright an object appears to an observer on Earth. It is affected by the object's luminosity, distance, and any intervening objects that may block its light. Absolute magnitude, on the other hand, is a measure of the intrinsic brightness of an object. It is defined as the apparent magnitude of an object if it were placed at a standard distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light-years) from Earth. This allows for a more direct comparison of the true brightness of different objects.

4. How do astronomers use magnitude to classify stars?

Astronomers use a star's magnitude to classify it based on its brightness. The magnitude scale is logarithmic, with brighter objects having lower magnitudes. The brightest stars have a magnitude of 0, while the dimmest ones visible to the naked eye have a magnitude of 6. The difference in magnitudes between two stars is a measure of their relative brightness. For example, a star with a magnitude of 2 is 2.5 times brighter than a star with a magnitude of 3.

5. Can the Stefan-Boltzmann law be applied to all objects, not just stars?

Yes, the Stefan-Boltzmann law can be applied to all objects that emit thermal radiation, including planets, moons, and even man-made objects such as light bulbs. However, it is most commonly used in studying stars, as they emit a significant amount of thermal radiation due to their high temperatures. The law can also be used to calculate the temperatures of objects, given their luminosity and distance.