What is the Explanation for the Zero Value in the Steiner Theorem Demonstration?

In summary, the conversation is about the demonstration of the Steiner Theorem, which involves the use of the parallel axis theorem. The conversation discusses the use of a coordinate system in which the center of mass is at the origin and how this results in the integral 2r∫x dm being equal to zero. The conversation concludes with an understanding of how the x-coordinate of the center of mass is calculated.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

I have a doubt about the steiner theorem demonstration, its actually trivial, but I can't realize why is this.

Lets see, the demonstration which you can see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem" goes as follows:

[tex]I_{cm} = \int{(x^2 + y^2)} dm[/tex]

[tex]I_z = \int{((x - r)^2 + y^2)} dm[/tex]

[tex]I_z = \int{(x^2 + y^2)} dm + r^2 \int dm - 2r\int{x} dm[/tex]

[tex]I_z = I_{cm} + mr^2[/tex]

What I need to know is why this gives zero:
[tex]2r\int{x} dm[/tex]

Bye there, and thanks for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:
What I need to know is why this gives zero:
[tex]2r\int{x} dm[/tex]
Because they are using a coordinate system in which the center of mass is at the origin, so:
Xcm ≡ (∫xdm)/M = 0

I don't get it. I actually read that explanation before. That integral wouldn't give: [tex]2rxM[/tex]? being M the total mass...? I'm not seeing the "differential" thing and how it works to give zero, I think that's the problem. It must be like integrating over a null area, but I don't see it.

Telemachus said:
I don't get it. I actually read that explanation before. That integral wouldn't give: [tex]2rxM[/tex]? being M the total mass...? I'm not seeing the "differential" thing and how it works to give zero, I think that's the problem. It must be like integrating over a null area, but I don't see it.
Do you agree that the x-coordinate of the center of mass is given by:

[tex]x_{cm} = \frac{1}{M} \int x dm[/tex]

where M is the total mass?

Right. I see it now :P thanks.

1. What is the Steiner theorem?

The Steiner theorem, also known as the Steiner-Lehmus theorem, is a geometric theorem that states that if two angle bisectors of a triangle are equal, then the triangle is isosceles. In other words, if a triangle has two equal angle bisectors, then it must have two equal sides.

2. Who discovered the Steiner theorem?

The Steiner theorem was first discovered by Swiss mathematician Jakob Steiner in the early 19th century. However, it was later independently proven by German mathematician Carl Gustav Jacobi and French mathematician Michel Chasles.

3. What is the practical application of the Steiner theorem?

The Steiner theorem is commonly used in geometry and trigonometry to prove the congruence of triangles and to solve problems involving isosceles triangles. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics.

4. How is the Steiner theorem demonstrated?

The Steiner theorem can be demonstrated through a proof by contradiction. This involves assuming that a triangle has two equal angle bisectors but is not isosceles, and then using logical reasoning and geometry principles to arrive at a contradiction. This proves that the assumption was incorrect, and thus the triangle must be isosceles.

5. Are there any variations of the Steiner theorem?

Yes, there are several variations of the Steiner theorem, including the converse of the theorem, which states that if a triangle is isosceles, then its two angle bisectors must be equal. There are also generalizations of the theorem, which apply to other types of polygons and higher dimensions.