Step by step analytical solution of temperature distribution

In summary, the heat source produces a temperature distribution on a 2D rectangular plate. The temperature at points on the plate is determined by the k-thermal conductivity, ρ, density, and thermal diffusivity. The solution to the equation is found by breaking the equation down into sum of components, and then solving each part.
Fr34k

Homework Statement

Lets say we have a 2D rectangular plate with a point heat source and some boundary conditions. I would like to solve and understand step by step the solution to this second order differential equation. Let's say dimensions of rectangular are a and b. 2 opposite sides are at a fixed temperature T1 and the other 2 are insulated. The initial temperature of the "body" is let's say T0. Our source is a δ source somewhere on the rectangular (x,y) and starts at t0. We ignore the heat dissipation due to convection and radiation. How would the temperature distribution look like T(x,y,t)? We also know the k-thermal conductivity, ρ density and c thermal diffusivity.

Homework Equations

[itex]\nabla^2T-\frac{1}{k}\frac{\delta T}{\delta t}+\frac{q(x,y,t)}{c}=0[/itex]

And please don't just tell/write the solution. I would like to understand the method of solving these type of problems. I have been reading lots of books on differential equations with simpler problems or similar problems but I can not put 1 and 1 together to solve this exact situation.
I thank you all for your time in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general solution I think is obtained by taking the Fourier series/transform of all variables x,y,z,t, converting into algebraic equation, solving for it and taking the inverse FS/T. You'll probably need to know the FS/T of the delta function source. The inverse FS/T is a multi-dimensional singular summation/integral where if the geometry is simple enough, you might be able to evaluate in closed form, using certain techniques. The solution obtained this way is nothing but the system's Green's function

Done it some time ago but I'll post what I did if someone else will have same problems.
The essential thing is to break the partial equation down into sum of components each solving a part of the whole.
one for boundary conditions + one laplace for stationary solution + one time dependant solution
The only trick here is in the stationary solution, where you have to center the system to get nicer solutions.
The rest are just known solutions to partial differential equations.

1. What is the purpose of step by step analytical solution of temperature distribution?

The purpose of step by step analytical solution of temperature distribution is to accurately calculate and predict the temperature distribution within a given system or material. This information is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry, as it allows for better understanding and control of thermal processes.

2. How does the step by step analytical solution of temperature distribution work?

The solution involves breaking down the problem into smaller, discrete steps and using mathematical equations and principles to calculate the temperature at each step. These steps are then combined to create a complete solution for the temperature distribution within the system.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the step by step analytical solution?

The accuracy of the solution can be affected by various factors such as the complexity of the system, the accuracy of the input data, and the assumptions made in the calculations. It is important to carefully consider these factors and make necessary adjustments to ensure the accuracy of the solution.

4. Are there any limitations to the step by step analytical solution of temperature distribution?

Yes, there are limitations to this method, particularly when dealing with non-linear systems or when the temperature distribution is highly dependent on external factors. In these cases, numerical methods may be more suitable for obtaining accurate results.

5. How is the step by step analytical solution of temperature distribution useful in real-world applications?

This solution is useful in various real-world applications, such as designing and optimizing thermal systems, predicting and preventing thermal failures, and understanding the behavior of materials under different thermal conditions. It allows for more efficient and effective decision making in industries such as manufacturing, energy production, and materials science.