How Does Adding a Hydrogen Layer Affect Tunneling Coefficients in STM Analysis?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of Taylor Expansions and the use of a scanning tunnel microscope to study an unknown material. The individual expresses their frustration with not being able to understand Taylor Expansions and hopes to improve in the future. The problem at hand involves adding a layer of hydrogen atoms to the surface and how it affects the potential barrier and transmission coefficient. The individual is seeking assistance in understanding how to apply Taylor expansions in this scenario.
erok81

Homework Statement

In my never ending quest to suck and never be able to do Taylor Expansions, I have another one. I hope one day I'll be able to do these.

I have an unknown material and a scanning tunnel microscope. A layer of hydrogen atoms of radius R are added to the surface. This of course will affect my potential barrier as it changes the work function of my set up.

Call my original tunneling coefficient to be T0 and my hydrogen layer to be T1.

With R << 1/α, how does the difference T0-T1 modifies. Use a taylor expansion.

Homework Equations

My tunneling probability is given by:

[tex]T=\frac{16E(U_{0}-E)}{U_{0}^{2}}e^{-4 \alpha L}[/tex]

Where my transmission coefficient is given by:

[tex]T=\frac{16E(U_{0}-E)}{U_{0}^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I hate posting problems like this because I have no idea how to begin.

I know that 1/α Ξ δ where δ is the penetration depth in a potential barrier. And obviously is L>>δ not much of the wave function will survive the barrier. So here R is much less than the penetration depth.

That's about all I have. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
So...any ideas?

I've tried reading up a bit more on Taylor expansions but still don't quite get how to apply them in this case.

What is STM?

STM stands for Scanning Tunneling Microscopy. It is a technique used in nanotechnology and materials science to obtain images of surfaces at the atomic level. It uses a sharp conducting tip to scan a sample surface and measures the tunneling current between the tip and the sample. The data collected is used to create a topographic image of the surface.

What is Taylor Expansion?

Taylor Expansion, also known as Taylor series, is a mathematical concept used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a complex function with a simpler one by using derivatives of the function at a specific point. This allows for the function to be expressed in a more manageable form for analysis and calculations.

What is the purpose of STM and Taylor Expansion?

STM and Taylor Expansion are both used in scientific research to understand the properties and behavior of materials at a microscopic level. STM helps scientists visualize and study the surface of materials, while Taylor Expansion allows for the approximation and analysis of complex functions.

What are some real-world applications of STM and Taylor Expansion?

STM has various applications in nanotechnology, such as studying the surface structure of materials for the development of new technologies and devices. Taylor Expansion is used in fields like physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

What are the limitations of STM and Taylor Expansion?

STM has a limited resolution and can only be used on conductive surfaces. It also requires a vacuum environment and can be affected by external noise. Taylor Expansion can only approximate functions within a specific range and may not accurately represent the function outside of that range. It also assumes that the function is infinitely differentiable, which may not always be the case.