1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes Theorem Boundry

1. Dec 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a question about stokes theorem in general, not about a specific problem.

Directly from lecture:
    "If S has no boundry (eg. if S is the boundry of a solid region) then [tex]\int\int_{S}Curl(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F})\bullet ds = 0[/tex] "

because apparently "no boundry C exists"

However in the next example he gives S is a hemisphere or radius 1 above the XY plane; and he uses the projection of the hemesphere on the XY plane as the bondry curve C and it works out fine.
    Isnt the hemisphere a boundry of a solid region? So shoudn't the integral be zero? Why can you use the boundry of the projection of S on the XY plane as the curve C?

This is hard to explain in words, if someone is so kind as to lok into this, you can see exactly what I am seeing here:
    http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details_new.php?seriesid=2008-D-54472&semesterid=2008-D
    Lecture 42, 4:00-5:00 is where he says the integral is zero, then at 9:40 he does the example with the hemesphere and it is not zero.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int\int_{S}Curl(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F})\bullet ds = \int_{C}\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}\bullet d\vec{r}[/tex]

Thanks anyone willing to look/help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the boundary of a boundary is zero

Hi swraman! :smile:

(I haven't watched the webcast lecture you linked to but:)

The boundary of a boundary is zero (empty).

The boundary of a solid hemisphere is a hemipherical shell plus the "base".

In your example, the surface S is only the hemipherical shell.

So S is not the boundary of a solid object, and S's boundary is therefore not zero. :wink:

4. Dec 19, 2008 #3
    Re: the boundary of a boundary is zero

Thanks for hte reply.

Im still a little confused; so is the shell of a full sphere considered to be a "boundry"? But a hemisphere's shell isnt?

5. Dec 19, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The surface surrounding any solid object is a boundary …

a spherical shell does surround a sphere, so it is the boundary of the sphere …

but a hemi-spherical shell does not surround a hemi-sphere: the hemi-sphere is surrounded by the hemi-spherical shell and the base :smile:

6. Dec 19, 2008 #5
    so...if the surface can be expressed as a single function it is a boundry?

7. Dec 19, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo … if the surface divides space into two, ie if it surrounds a solid volume, then it is a boundary.

This is even if it's in two parts (i assume that's what you would call "two functions"), like a hemispherical shell and a disc. :smile:

8. Dec 19, 2008 #7
    doesnt the hemisphere shell surround a solid region?

9. Dec 20, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i'm not sure we're talking about the same thing …

a solid hemisphere is surrounded by a curved piece and a flat piece …

i'm calling the curved piece the "hemisphere shell", and the flat piece the "base" or the "disc" …

so the hemisphere shell on its own is not the boundary of a solid region, and so its boundary C is not the boundary of a boundary. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?