1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stopping distance

1. May 29, 2017 #1
    No Template because thread was posted in non-homework forum

A car traveling at speed v takes distance d to stop after breaks are applied. What is the stopping distance if the car is initially traveling at speed 3.0v? Assume that the acceleration due to the braking is the same in both cases.

I am really new to physics and this question doesn't make sense to me at all. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2017 #2
    I assume that this is a case of constant acceleration. In that case, there is an equation that relates the acceleration to the distance traveled and the initial and final velocities. Refer to the table The Kinematic Equations at this link: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/1DKin/Lesson-6/Kinematic-Equations The equation you want is the top right one.

See if you can proceed from there and let us know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted