1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strain Gauge Bonding

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1
    I have a few strain gauges that are going onto the suspension of a race bike. Ive never installed these things before. While I have found a lot of information on installing them, I am having a hard time finding many adhesive and chemical options. It seems a lot of them are non-permanent, or require a complex curing procedure. I would like a permenant method so I dont have to reinstall them a few times. One set of gauges will be close to an exhaust system as well. Anyone have any use personally with some of the available options?

FYI, I am a poor engineering student, so I tend to do things the hard way if it saves me a few bucks. Maybe the non-perms are better and I just reinstall them often?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF Strgt. (From the Stargate movie/series?)
    I don't know where you are, so this might not be of help. In North America we have a product called "J-B Weld". It's a binary epoxy similar to auto body filler, but is so strong that it actually works more like welding. (I know of one guy who mended a broken trailer hitch with it, and one of their ads showed it repairing the ram of a 12-ton bottle jack.) You can get it in hardware or auto parts stores.

edit: I've used it to fabricate machine parts rather than carve or mould metal.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  4. Aug 5, 2012 #3
    Half my race bike is made out of jbweld :) Didn't know that was a suitable epoxy for strain gauges as its a bit thicker than the superglue-like stuff used in most of the applications guides.

5. Aug 5, 2012 #4

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:

That and duct tape will carry you through life, my son. :biggrin:

Perhaps I should have asked for a description of the strain gauges in case I have the wrong idea about them. I'm thinking "little flat things" (pardon the technical jargon) about the size of a postage stamp. Anyhow, my idea was to encase them, rather than just glue them on. I think that the easiest explanation is if I tell you to think of a barnacle. The J-B forms an enclosure, and the gauge is the animal inside. That might be inappropriate for your purposes, though.

I also like "contact cement", but again it might not be suitable. I don't know how it stands up to stress.

edit: Upon further reflection, I think that J-B might be a bad idea. It would alter the physical properties of the material that it's attached to, and thus compromise the accuracy of the gauges. :frown:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  6. Aug 6, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

From a quick google search, I conclude that you are not Robinson Crusoe! It seems the process can be as painstaking as ones patience will endure. :cool:

From brief reading, it seems you´ll probably end up using superglue, but here are some links to read through first.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/...at/97218-strain-gauge-adhesive-subsitute.html

⊳ http://fetweb.ju.edu.jo/staff/Mechatronics/LShareef/Trans_files/5%20Stress%20and%20Strain/Lab%203%20-%20Strain%20Gauge%20Installation.pdf [Broken]

http://www.disensors.com/downloads/products/Practical Hints For Strain Gauging_784.pdf

Good luck! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook