Strain Gauge Bonding: Permanent & Chemical Options

In summary, the conversation revolves around the installation of strain gauges onto a race bike's suspension. The person is having trouble finding suitable adhesive and chemical options for a permanent installation. They mention using J-B Weld, a strong epoxy, but later question its suitability due to its potential to compromise the accuracy of the gauges. They also mention using contact cement and provide links for further reading on strain gauge installation.
strgt
I have a few strain gauges that are going onto the suspension of a race bike. I've never installed these things before. While I have found a lot of information on installing them, I am having a hard time finding many adhesive and chemical options. It seems a lot of them are non-permanent, or require a complex curing procedure. I would like a permenant method so I don't have to reinstall them a few times. One set of gauges will be close to an exhaust system as well. Anyone have any use personally with some of the available options?

FYI, I am a poor engineering student, so I tend to do things the hard way if it saves me a few bucks. Maybe the non-perms are better and I just reinstall them often?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Strgt. (From the Stargate movie/series?)
I don't know where you are, so this might not be of help. In North America we have a product called "J-B Weld". It's a binary epoxy similar to auto body filler, but is so strong that it actually works more like welding. (I know of one guy who mended a broken trailer hitch with it, and one of their ads showed it repairing the ram of a 12-ton bottle jack.) You can get it in hardware or auto parts stores.

edit: I've used it to fabricate machine parts rather than carve or mould metal.

Last edited:
Half my race bike is made out of jbweld :) Didn't know that was a suitable epoxy for strain gauges as its a bit thicker than the superglue-like stuff used in most of the applications guides.

strgt said:
Half my race bike is made out of jbweld :)
:smile:

That and duct tape will carry you through life, my son. :biggrin:

Perhaps I should have asked for a description of the strain gauges in case I have the wrong idea about them. I'm thinking "little flat things" (pardon the technical jargon) about the size of a postage stamp. Anyhow, my idea was to encase them, rather than just glue them on. I think that the easiest explanation is if I tell you to think of a barnacle. The J-B forms an enclosure, and the gauge is the animal inside. That might be inappropriate for your purposes, though.

I also like "contact cement", but again it might not be suitable. I don't know how it stands up to stress.

edit: Upon further reflection, I think that J-B might be a bad idea. It would alter the physical properties of the material that it's attached to, and thus compromise the accuracy of the gauges. :frown:

Last edited:
strgt said:
I have a few strain gauges that are going onto the suspension of a race bike. I've never installed these things before. While I have found a lot of information on installing them, I am having a hard time finding many adhesive and chemical options.
From a quick google search, I conclude that you are not Robinson Crusoe! It seems the process can be as painstaking as ones patience will endure. :cool:

From brief reading, it seems you´ll probably end up using superglue, but here are some links to read through first.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/...at/97218-strain-gauge-adhesive-subsitute.html

⊳ http://fetweb.ju.edu.jo/staff/Mechatronics/LShareef/Trans_files/5%20Stress%20and%20Strain/Lab%203%20-%20Strain%20Gauge%20Installation.pdf

⊳ http://www.disensors.com/downloads/products/Practical%20Hints%20For%20Strain%20Gauging_784.pdf

Good luck! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Strain Gauge Bonding: Permanent & Chemical Options

1. What is a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a device that measures the strain or deformation of an object by converting it into an electrical signal. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and materials testing to measure the force, pressure, or weight applied to an object.

2. What is strain gauge bonding?

Strain gauge bonding is the process of attaching a strain gauge to an object using an adhesive. This allows the strain gauge to accurately measure the deformation of the object.

3. What are the permanent bonding options for strain gauges?

There are several permanent bonding options for strain gauges, including epoxy, cyanoacrylate, and silicone adhesives. These adhesives provide a strong and durable bond between the strain gauge and the object.

4. What are the chemical bonding options for strain gauges?

Chemical bonding options for strain gauges involve using a specialized adhesive that chemically reacts with the surface of the object, creating a strong and permanent bond. Some examples of chemical bonding options include metal-filled epoxy and polyimide adhesives.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a strain gauge bonding option?

When choosing a strain gauge bonding option, it is important to consider factors such as the type of object being measured, the expected strain range, and the environmental conditions (i.e. temperature, humidity) the object will be exposed to. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for bonding the strain gauge to ensure accurate and reliable measurements.