1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strain Gauge Placement on Cylinder

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    1. Problem Statement: I am trying to measure the radial (#s 3-6) and hoop (#s 1, 2, 7, 8) strain (and from that, stress) present in an aluminum cylinder. I am trying to use a standard full wheatstone bridge setup, but am having trouble settling on a setup that would give me an accurate measurement. I haven't tried my current setup yet as I want to be reasonably sure that it will work before using my given materials since they are relatively limited. Can anyone offer any constructive criticism or help?

2. Relevant equations: N/A

3. The attempt at a solution: see attached picture

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2
    Also, I forgot to mention that the cylindrical system is a shrink-fit system, with dimensions as shown in the picture. One of my main problems is trying to compensate for the gradient imposed by the boundary between the surfaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook