Understanding Stress & Strain in 9th Standard Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between stress and strain in materials, particularly in a heated bar that is constrained at both ends. It is explained that the bar cannot deform due to being fixed, but it can experience increased stress, which counteracts the expansion caused by heating. This results in the bar maintaining its original length. The conversation also acknowledges that the topic may seem basic and thanks in advance for any explanation.
jayanth nivas
Hi all,
This is my first post in PF
I'm doing my ninth standard in India,My knowledge in physics is limited so please forgive me if I ask something basic

Can anyone clearly explain me the relationship stress and strain,because I thought when a material deforms (even to the slightest degree)restoring forces are set up to bring it back to original position (which is stress in elastic zone).

By when a bar constrained at both ends is heated,it cannot deform because it is fixed,whereas it is stresses(which violates what i said before because stress can occur only if there is strain).

Once again sorry if i have asked something very basic and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the heated bar were not restrained in any way, after heating, a measurement of the bar would show that its length had increased. The bar expands in response to the heating.

If the bar is fixed such that no increase in length is possible, then application of heat to the bar cannot cause an increase in length but it can cause an increase in the stress of the bar. The increased stress is of a compressive nature, which counteracts the bar's tendency to increase in length due to heating. The amount of stress generated, if applied to a bar which was not restrained, would cause the bar to contract its length, by an amount which would be equal to the expansion which would be caused by heating.

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force acting on an object, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the object. In simpler terms, stress is the cause and strain is the effect.

2. How is stress and strain measured?

Stress is measured in units of force per unit area, such as Newtons per square meter (N/m^2) or Pascals (Pa). Strain is a dimensionless quantity, expressed as a ratio of the change in length or shape to the original length or shape.

3. What factors affect stress and strain?

The amount of stress and strain experienced by an object depends on its material properties, such as elasticity, as well as the magnitude and direction of the force applied to it. Temperature, time, and the presence of defects or imperfections can also impact stress and strain.

4. What is the relationship between stress and strain?

The relationship between stress and strain is described by Hooke's Law, which states that stress is directly proportional to strain within the elastic limit of a material. In other words, as the stress on an object increases, so does the strain until the material reaches its limit of elasticity.

5. How is stress and strain used in engineering and design?

Understanding stress and strain is crucial in engineering and design, as it helps determine the strength and durability of materials. Engineers use stress and strain calculations to ensure that structures and machines can withstand the forces they will encounter in real-world applications without deforming or breaking.