Stress Energy Tensor in Wald's General Relativity - Page 96

In summary, Wald discusses the stress energy tensor of ordinary matter in the universe and its form, which is T_{ab}=\rho u_a u_b where \rho is the density of matter. This form is due to the symmetries of spacetime and the preferred coordinate system. Wald also mentions a thermal distribution of radiation filling the universe, with a pressure of P=\frac{\rho}{3}. He then explains the perfect fluid form of T_{ab}, which includes the term P (g_{ab} + u_a u_b). This is related to the symmetries of space and time, specifically the constant curvature of the hypersurface. Further understanding of this topic is recommended in Weinberg's "Gravitation and Cos
latentcorpse
This is page 96 in Wald's "General Relativity"

He says that the stress energy tensor of the ordinary matter in the universe is of the form

[itex]T_{ab}=\rho u_a u_b[/itex] where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of matter in the universe.

why does it take this form? also are [itex]u_a[/itex] and [itex]u_b[/itex] orthogonal vectors in the plane orthogonal to the tangent of the world line of an observer at that point?
or am i completely missing the point there?

anyway he then goes on to talk about how a thermal distribution of radiation at a temperature of about 3K fills the universe and for massless thermal radiation [itex]P=\frac{\rho}{3}[/itex] (where is this from - I've tried to find a formula for radiation pressure but can't find one). Anyway whilst, presently this doesn't contribute to the stress energy of the universe it was the dominant term in the beginning and so we should take [itex]T_{ab}[/itex] to be of the perfect fluid form

[itex]T_{ab}=\rho u_a u_b +P (g_{ab} + u_a u_b)[/itex]
what is meant by the perfect fluid form?
where does the [itex]P (g_{ab} + u_a u_b)[/itex] term come from?

it says earlier (the previous page) that [itex]h_{ab}(t)=g_{ab} + u_a u_b[/itex] is the metric of either a sphere, flat Euclidean space or a hyperboloid on the surface [itex]\Sigma_t[/itex]. does this help with understanding the above...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi! wald is too much concise in that chapter. its chapter 5, right?

dude, i had studied it ealier, i will be brief and then you ask what is not yet clear later, ok?

yes, the vectors "u" are timelike vectors tangent to the hypersurface. the point here is to grab the definitions given. wald states that he is considering a spattialy homogenous and isotropic spacetime, and defines it as a spacetime folliated by homogenous and isotropic riemannian hypersurfaces. in doing so, he has stated that THERE IS A PREFERED COORDINATE SYSTEM, in which you take the integral lines of the vector field "u" as the curves of isotropic observers. elsewhere, your spacetime will obviously not be foliated in the right manner.

you can ellaborate on the form of the stress tensor then. you can conclude that the strees-energy tensor is like that taking only into account the symmetries of space time (the stress-energy tensor must have all the symmetries, since einstein's equation links that tensor with the geometry of the manifold). restricted to the hypersurface, it will be proportional to the metric, for the hypersurface is maximally symetric. the later interpretations of P and Rho come later with comparison to a distribution of particles. you can check it on wald chapter 4. the constriction 0 < P < rho/3 comes from the strong positivity condition for the stress energy tensor. The RHO and P are not given and don't arise from those symmetry statements alone, you must take a model into account for further calculations (wald does that later, for P = 0 and P = rho/3).

the riemannian metric h is stated later to be from a hyperboloid, flat space or sphere because those are the only maximmaly symetric 3d spaces, i.e. constant curvature space. wald gets into the constant spatial curvature using some hard to see passages...

I tried to study that same chapter a year ago, but without knowing too much gravitaion and geomtry, and i was also stuck. I will give you a sugestion. Get Weinberg's gravitation and cosmology, read the Chapter 13, on Symmetric Spaces, and some passages on the following cosmolody parts. That will be of much enlightment!

i hope it helped a bit...

Related to Stress Energy Tensor in Wald's General Relativity - Page 96

What is the Stress Energy Tensor in Wald's General Relativity?

The Stress Energy Tensor in Wald's General Relativity is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of mass, energy, and momentum within a given region of spacetime. It is a key component in Einstein's field equations, which govern the behavior of gravity.

How is the Stress Energy Tensor calculated?

The Stress Energy Tensor is calculated using the energy-momentum density, which is a measure of the mass, energy, and momentum contained within a given volume of spacetime. This density is then integrated over the four dimensions of spacetime to create the Stress Energy Tensor.

What is the significance of the Stress Energy Tensor in General Relativity?

The Stress Energy Tensor is significant because it represents the source of gravitational fields in Einstein's field equations. It allows us to understand how matter and energy affect the curvature of spacetime and thus how gravity behaves.

What are some examples of Stress Energy Tensor in real-life applications?

The Stress Energy Tensor has many real-life applications, including in astrophysics, where it is used to study the behavior of massive objects like stars and galaxies. It is also used in cosmology to understand the large-scale structure of the universe and in engineering to model the behavior of materials under stress.

Are there any limitations to the use of the Stress Energy Tensor in General Relativity?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Stress Energy Tensor in General Relativity. It assumes that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that it is the same in all directions and at all points in space. This may not be true in all cases, and thus the Stress Energy Tensor may not accurately represent the distribution of mass and energy in some situations.