Stress energy tensor transformation

In summary, we have shown that by adding a total derivative to the Lagrangian density, the energy momentum tensor changes as described by the formula ##T^{\mu\nu} \to T^{\mu\nu}+\partial_\alpha B^{\alpha\mu\nu}##, where ##B^{\alpha\mu\nu}=-B^{\mu\alpha\nu}##. This change is derived by using the expression for the variation of the action with respect to a transformation with ##\delta y^\mu = k^\mu## and ##\delta \phi = 0##, and equating it to the variation of the modified Lagrangian. The resulting equation is then manipulated to obtain the desired
BillKet

Homework Statement

Show that if you add a total derivative to the Lagrangian density ##L \to L + \partial_\mu X^\mu##, the energy momentum tensor changes as ##T^{\mu\nu} \to T^{\mu\nu}+\partial_\alpha B^{\alpha\mu\nu}## with ##B^{\alpha\mu\nu}=-B^{\mu\alpha\nu}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have ##T_{\mu\nu}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial_\nu \phi-g_{\mu\nu}L##, where ##\phi## is the field that the Lagrangian depends on. If we do the given change on the Lagrangian, the change in ##T_{\mu\nu}## would be ##\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial_\nu \phi-g_{\mu\nu}\partial_\alpha X^\alpha =\partial_\alpha \frac{\partial X^\alpha}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial_\nu \phi-g_{\mu\nu}\partial_\alpha X^\alpha##. From here I thought of using this: ##g_{\mu\nu}\partial_\alpha X^\alpha=g_{\mu\nu}\partial_\alpha \phi \frac{\partial X^\alpha}{\partial \phi}## But I don't really know what to do from here. Mainly I don't know how to get rid of that ##g_{\mu\nu}##. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
BillKet said:
the change in ##T_{\mu\nu}## would be ##\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial_\nu \phi-g_{\mu\nu}\partial_\alpha X^\alpha =\partial_\alpha \frac{\partial X^\alpha}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial_\nu \phi-g_{\mu\nu}\partial_\alpha X^\alpha##.

This is not correct. First of all, you are making the assumption that you can just insert ##\partial_\mu X^\mu## in the expression for ##T_{\mu\nu}## and obtain the correct ##T_{\mu\nu}##. This is not so because the expression assumes a dependence only on derivatives up to first order existing in ##L##. If your ##X^\mu## contains any derivatives of ##\phi## (as it would have to to make it Lorentz invariant), then ##\partial_\mu X^\mu## will contain derivatives of second order and higher. Second, you are assuming that
$$
\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} = \partial_\alpha \frac{\partial X^\alpha}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)},
$$
which is simply not true.

Instead, I suggest that you start from the expression for ##\delta \mathscr S## in terms of the Lagrangian for the transformation ##\delta y^\mu = k^\mu## and ##\delta \phi = 0##, which is what gives the energy-momentum tensor as the current ##J^\mu = T^{\mu}_\nu k^\nu## and takes the form
$$
\delta \mathscr S = \int [\{L(\phi(y-\delta y))-L(\phi(y))\} + \partial_\mu(L \delta y^\mu)] d^4x.
$$

Edit: Also note that you have some errors in your index placements.
Edit 2: You should not have to make any assumptions on the actual field content.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. So I tried this: $$\frac{\delta(L+\partial_\mu X^\mu)}{\delta y^\nu}=\Big(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}+\frac{\partial(\partial_\mu X^\mu)}{\partial \phi}-\partial_\mu\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}-\partial_\mu\frac{\partial (\partial_\mu X^\mu)}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}\Big)\frac{\delta \phi}{\delta y^\nu}+\partial_\mu\Big(\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\frac{\delta \phi}{\delta y^\nu}+\frac{\partial (\partial_\mu X^\mu)}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\frac{\delta \phi}{\delta y^\nu}\Big)$$ So this is the normal derivation from my book, but with the replacement made to the Lagrangian. We also have $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}-\partial_\mu\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}=0$$ as the field satisfies the equations of motion. Then we have $$\frac{\delta \phi}{\delta y^\nu}=\partial_\nu \phi$$ which is the infinitesimal transformation for a scalar field. As the Lagrangian, even wit the new term, is a scalar field we also have: $$\frac{\delta (L+\partial_\mu X^\mu)}{\delta y^\nu}=\partial_\nu L+\partial_\nu(\partial_\mu X^\mu)$$ Equating the 2 expressions we get:
$$\Big(\frac{\partial(\partial_\mu X^\mu)}{\partial \phi}-\partial_\mu\frac{\partial (\partial_\mu X^\mu)}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}\Big)\partial_\nu\phi+\partial_\mu\Big(\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\nu\phi+\frac{\partial (\partial_\mu X^\mu)}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\nu\phi\Big)=\partial_\nu L+\partial_\nu(\partial_\mu X^\mu)$$ Now from the old stress energy tensor we have $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\nu\phi-g_{\mu\nu}L$$ so the part I need to write in the form $$\partial_\mu (M_{\mu\nu})$$ is what remains from there: $$\Big(\frac{\partial(\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial \phi}-\partial_\mu\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}\Big)\partial_\nu\phi+\partial_\mu\Big(\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\nu\phi\Big)=\partial_\nu(\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)$$ I replaced the index for the summation for X with ##\alpha##. Based on what I was told my answer should look like this $$T_{\mu\nu} \to T_{\mu\nu} +\partial_\alpha\Big( \frac{\partial X^\alpha}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial\nu \phi - \frac{\partial X^\mu}{\partial(\partial_\alpha \phi)}\partial_\nu \phi \Big) $$. If we apply the product rule in the second term in our equation, we get rid of one more term and we end up with: $$\Big(\frac{\partial(\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial \phi}-\partial_\mu\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}\Big)\partial_\nu\phi+\partial_\mu\Big(\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\Big)\partial_\nu\phi+\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\mu\partial_\nu\phi=\partial_\nu(\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)$$ $$\frac{\partial(\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial \phi}\partial_\nu\phi+\frac{\partial (\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\mu\partial_\nu\phi=\partial_\nu(\partial_\alpha X^\alpha)$$ Now I am not sure what to do. Is it ok so far? Any suggestions now? Thank you again for help!

You really need to stop thinking of the field ##\phi## altogether and start thinking more in terms of how the action changes when you do the ##\delta y^\mu## transformation and how that affects ##\delta L##.

Also note that some of your terms have four ##\mu## indices. That is never a good sign.

Orodruin said:
You really need to stop thinking of the field ##\phi## altogether and start thinking more in terms of how the action changes when you do the ##\delta y^\mu## transformation and how that affects ##\delta L##.
Also note that some of your terms have four ##\mu## indices. That is never a good sign.
I am a bit confused, don't I need the ##\phi##, as what I am doing is like a chain rule?

BillKet said:
I am a bit confused, don't I need the ##\phi##, as what I am doing is like a chain rule?
No, it is irrelevant what is inside the ##X^\mu## as your transformation of the fields is ##\delta \phi = 0##, all changes in the action will be expressible in terms of ##X^\mu## and its derivatives.

Orodruin said:
No, it is irrelevant what is inside the ##X^\mu## as your transformation of the fields is ##\delta \phi = 0##, all changes in the action will be expressible in terms of ##X^\mu## and its derivatives.
I am not sure why the change in ##\phi## is zero. When you derive E-L equations, you actually need ##\delta \phi## to be non-zero.

BillKet said:
I am not sure why the change in ##\phi## is zero. When you derive E-L equations, you actually need ##\delta \phi## to be non-zero.
I am not talking about the equations of motion, I am talking about the 1-parameter symmetry related to the conserved current that is the energy-momentum tensor contracted with the spacetime translation vector ##k^\nu##, i.e., ##J^\mu = T^\mu_\nu k^\nu##.

Orodruin said:

Ok, so for the change in action we have: $$\frac{\delta S}{\delta y^\mu}=\int(\frac{\delta L}{\delta y^\mu}+\frac{\delta \partial_\alpha X^\alpha }{\delta y^\mu})$$ And the first term gives the old result. Is this ok so far?

Orodruin said:
I am not talking about the equations of motion, I am talking about the 1-parameter symmetry related to the conserved current that is the energy-momentum tensor contracted with the spacetime translation vector ##k^\nu##, i.e., ##J^\mu = T^\mu_\nu k^\nu##.
Any further hint would be greatly appreciated

Did you get any constraints on the form of ##X^\mu##? I suggest that you do the case where ##X^\mu## is a function of the fields only (and not derivatives of the fields). If ##X^\mu## depends on the field derivatives, then ##\partial_\mu X^\mu## will depend on the second derivatives of the fields.

1. What is the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical object used in physics to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given region of space. It is a four-dimensional tensor that contains 10 components, representing different aspects of energy and momentum.

2. What does the stress-energy tensor transformation describe?

The stress-energy tensor transformation describes how the stress-energy tensor changes when viewed from different reference frames. This is important in special and general relativity, where the laws of physics should be the same regardless of the observer's perspective.

3. How is the stress-energy tensor related to the concept of stress and pressure?

The stress-energy tensor includes components that represent both stress and pressure. Stress refers to the internal forces within a material, while pressure refers to the force exerted on a material by its surroundings. The stress-energy tensor accounts for both of these factors in its components.

4. Can the stress-energy tensor be used to calculate the energy and momentum of a system?

Yes, the stress-energy tensor can be used to calculate the total energy and momentum of a system. This is done by integrating the components of the tensor over a given region of space. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the energy and momentum in a system compared to traditional calculations.

5. How does the stress-energy tensor relate to Einstein's field equations?

The stress-energy tensor is a key component in Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. The energy and momentum represented in the stress-energy tensor contribute to the overall curvature of spacetime, as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.