Max Stress + Shear Stress for 10,000N Axial Load

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of maximum stresses in a draw bar between a tractor and trailer. The bar is made from a rectangular cross-section of steel and the load is transmitted by two pins at each end. The conversation covers calculations for the stress in the bar and the shear stress in the pin, as well as clarifying the difference between stress and maximum stress. The conversation also includes a discussion on the reduction of cross-sectional area due to the presence of the pin holes.
steve2510

Homework Statement

A draw bar between a tractor and trailer is made from a length of steel bar 0.08m by 0.012m rectangular cross-section. The load is transmitted by means of a 0.015 diameter pin at each end. Determine the maximum stresses in the bar and pin if the axial load is 10,000N

Homework Equations

σ=F/A
ε=ΔL/L
τ=Fs/A

3. The attempt at the solution
Area of steel cross-section = 0.08x0.012=9.6x10-4
Stress is bar = F/A
= 10000/9.6x10-4
=10.42x106
Shear in Bolt = Fs/A A = ∏d2/4
=1.767x10-4m2
Shear in bolt = 10000/1.767x10-4
=56.588 x 106
But that's the shear in one bolt so surely the max shear is 2x that which would be 113.2MPA

Both values aren't the same as the ones in the back of the book so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Yor calc for bar stress looks good, but don't forget units! Why do say shear stress is doubled? Each pin sees the same force. If the pin is in double shear (need connection detail), shear stress is halved.

I think i got confused with the term "maximum stress" is there any difference between asking: Determine the stress in the bar? And Determine the maximum stress in the bar

steve2510 said:
I think i got confused with the term "maximum stress" is there any difference between asking: Determine the stress in the bar? And Determine the maximum stress in the bar
Yes, generally there is a difference. In your example, the tensile stress in the bar is maximum at the pin holes, due to the reduction in cross section area of the bar at those locations. But I am not sure if the problem is asking for that...does it give the hole size and connection detail?

For the area in the bar it's done (0.08-0.015)x0.012=a but I don't see why.

Last edited:
steve2510 said:
For the area in the bar it's done (0.08-0.015)x0.012=a but I don't see why.
Oh, OK, the cross section area must be reduced by the area of the hole, and that's what that calculation shows: the net cross section area at the hole. Another way of looking at it is this. The cross section without the hole is .08 X .012, and the area of the hole is .015 X .012. So the net area is (.08 X .012) - (.015 X .012) = (0.08-0.015) X 0.012, same result.

PhanthomJay said:
Oh, OK, the cross section area must be reduced by the area of the hole, and that's what that calculation shows: the net cross section area at the hole. Another way of looking at it is this. The cross section without the hole is .08 X .012, and the area of the hole is .015 X .012. So the net area is (.08 X .012) - (.015 X .012) = (0.08-0.015) X 0.012, same result.

Ah i see thanks very much !:smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum stress for a 10,000N axial load?

The formula for calculating maximum stress is: max stress = F/A, where F is the applied load and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

2. How do you calculate the shear stress for a 10,000N axial load?

The formula for calculating shear stress is: shear stress = F/A, where F is the applied load and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

3. What is the difference between maximum stress and shear stress?

Maximum stress is the highest amount of stress that a material can withstand before it breaks, while shear stress is the stress that occurs when two forces are applied parallel to each other in opposite directions.

4. How does a 10,000N axial load affect the stress on a material?

The stress on a material increases proportionally to the amount of load applied. In this case, a 10,000N axial load will result in a higher amount of stress on the material compared to a smaller load.

5. How can I determine the safety factor for a material under a 10,000N axial load?

The safety factor is determined by dividing the material's ultimate strength by the maximum stress or shear stress. To determine the safety factor for a 10,000N axial load, you would need to know the ultimate strength of the material and calculate the maximum stress or shear stress using the formulas mentioned above.