Structural Mechanics: Solving Shear Force on a Cut Beam

In summary, one person is asking for help with calculating shear force on a beam and another person is asking for assistance with a homework question about choosing a suitable section for a timber beam. The second person is advised to make a new thread in the homework section with properly formatted question.
hsohl
hi there

any 1 know how to work out shear force ona cut beam ? i got the str3 web page problems!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would answer you if I could understand what the heck you just asked. Post in a legible format and you will be helped.

Hi

Does anyone know how i go about answering the following question:

A timber beam with a span of 4 m is carrying an inclusive UDL of 40 kN. The safe allowable bending stress is 6 N / mm2. Choose a suitable section for the beam.

Thanks

It's obvious this is a homework question, and you woke up a 4 year old thread to ask it.

Make a new thread in the homework section, follow the posting rules, and people will be happy to help.

Hello there,

As a structural mechanics scientist, I can help you with solving shear force on a cut beam. Firstly, it is important to understand that shear force is the internal force that acts perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of a beam. To calculate the shear force on a cut beam, you will need to use the principles of equilibrium and free body diagrams.

1. Draw a free body diagram of the cut beam, showing all the external forces acting on it (such as point loads, distributed loads, and reactions).

2. Apply the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on a body must be equal to zero. This will help you determine the unknown shear force.

3. Next, use the shear force equation: V = dM/dx, where V is the shear force, M is the bending moment, and x is the distance from the support to the cut section.

4. To determine the bending moment, you can either use the moment equilibrium equation or integrate the shear force equation.

I suggest referring to your textbook or online resources for further guidance on solving specific problems. Additionally, there are also software programs available that can help you with shear force calculations.

I hope this helps you with your structural mechanics problem. Best of luck!

Related to Structural Mechanics: Solving Shear Force on a Cut Beam

1. What is shear force and why is it important in structural mechanics?

Shear force is a type of internal force that acts parallel to a surface in a structure. It is important in structural mechanics because it can cause a beam or structure to bend or fail, and understanding shear force is crucial in ensuring the stability and safety of a structure.

2. How do you calculate shear force on a cut beam?

The shear force on a cut beam can be calculated using the equation F = Q * L, where F is the shear force, Q is the shear force per unit length, and L is the length of the beam. Q can be determined by taking the derivative of the bending moment equation with respect to the distance along the beam.

3. What factors affect shear force on a cut beam?

The factors that affect shear force on a cut beam include the type of load applied, the distance along the beam where the cut is made, and the support conditions at the ends of the beam. The shape and cross-sectional area of the beam can also affect shear force.

4. Can shear force cause a beam to fail?

Yes, shear force can cause a beam to fail if it exceeds the maximum shear capacity of the beam. This can happen if the shear force is too high or if the beam is not properly designed to handle the applied load. It is important to consider shear force when designing a structure to ensure its stability and safety.

5. How can shear force be reduced in a structure?

Shear force can be reduced in a structure by redistributing the load, increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam, or adding additional supports. Properly designing and constructing a structure can also help to minimize shear force and prevent failure.