What are the best lightweight materials for small wheel rims?

In summary: The ball bearings would need to be lubricated with a special grease to prevent them from seizing up. The costs for these items would be high, but the overall cost of the wheel would be lower than the costs for the other materials.
oldunion
I am looking to make some small wheel rims (about 6-8 inches). I know there are currently rims made of aluminum and magnesium. I know steel would work, but what would be some light weight alternatives. I know of titanium, carbon steel maybe?, steel. I am looking for the strongest, lightest, and cheapest material that can be cnc machined.

This is for a motor scooter, 62 cc's capable of 50+mph utilizing 10 inch pneumatic tires. It has two ball bearings that fit on the end and the axle is magnesium i think.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Strongest, lightest and cheapest is a tall order, you need to weigh up what characteristics will give you the biggest benefits.

One should look at the peak stress and nominal cyclical stress level, then pick a material with an appropriate yield stress, toughness, fatigue strength and strength-to-weight ratio (one can take advantage of high strength to weight ratio and make a thicker section which reduces stress).

Then consider cost per unit mass of the material.

One good source of general information is the ASM International's journal, "Advanced Materials & Processes", which is often available in good technical libraries. There is usually specific volumes devoted to materials in both automotive and aerospace applications.

For your application, 'mag wheels' would seem appropriate. However consider:

http://www.sromagazine.com/paris/dictionary/sro-dicm.htm#MagWheel

http://www.sromagazine.com/paris/dictionary/sro-dica.htm#AlloyWheel

and

http://groups.msn.com/OldsmobileLovers-2/tipsandtrix.msnw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=1332 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
nylon scooter rims

oldunion said:
I am looking to make some small wheel rims (about 6-8 inches). I know there are currently rims made of aluminum and magnesium. I know steel would work, but what would be some light weight alternatives. I know of titanium, carbon steel maybe?, steel. I am looking for the strongest, lightest, and cheapest material that can be cnc machined.

This is for a motor scooter, 62 cc's capable of 50+mph utilizing 10 inch pneumatic tires. It has two ball bearings that fit on the end and the axle is magnesium i think.

The wheels could be manufactured from a certain grade of nylon. This material is not very easy to machine!

1. What is the definition of structural metal properties?

Structural metal properties refer to the physical and chemical characteristics of metals that make them suitable for use in constructing buildings, bridges, and other load-bearing structures.

2. What are the most important structural metal properties?

The most important structural metal properties include strength, ductility, toughness, and corrosion resistance. These properties allow metals to withstand heavy loads, deform without breaking, resist fracture, and withstand environmental factors.

3. How are structural metal properties tested and measured?

Structural metal properties are tested and measured through various methods such as tensile testing, hardness testing, impact testing, and corrosion testing. These tests determine the mechanical and chemical properties of metals and help engineers select the most suitable metal for a specific application.

4. How do structural metal properties vary among different types of metals?

Structural metal properties vary among different types of metals due to differences in their composition, microstructure, and manufacturing processes. For example, steel has high strength and hardness due to its high carbon content, while aluminum has high ductility due to its low carbon content.

5. How do structural metal properties affect the design and construction of structures?

Structural metal properties play a crucial role in the design and construction of structures. The properties of the selected metal must be able to withstand the anticipated loads and environmental conditions, ensuring the safety and durability of the structure. Engineers must carefully consider these properties when selecting materials and designing structures to ensure their success.