Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structural metal properties

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    I am looking to make some small wheel rims (about 6-8 inches). I know there are currently rims made of aluminum and magnesium. I know steel would work, but what would be some light weight alternatives. I know of titanium, carbon steel maybe?, steel. I am looking for the strongest, lightest, and cheapest material that can be cnc machined.

This is for a motor scooter, 62 cc's capable of 50+mph utilizing 10 inch pneumatic tires. It has two ball bearings that fit on the end and the axle is magnesium i think.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Strongest, lightest and cheapest is a tall order, you need to weigh up what characteristics will give you the biggest benefits.
  4. Mar 15, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

One should look at the peak stress and nominal cyclical stress level, then pick a material with an appropriate yield stress, toughness, fatigue strength and strength-to-weight ratio (one can take advantage of high strength to weight ratio and make a thicker section which reduces stress).

Then consider cost per unit mass of the material.

One good source of general information is the ASM International's journal, "Advanced Materials & Processes", which is often available in good technical libraries. There is usually specific volumes devoted to materials in both automotive and aerospace applications.

For your application, 'mag wheels' would seem appropriate. However consider:

Wheel Composition
  5. May 3, 2005 #4

nylon scooter rims

The wheels could be manufactured from a certain grade of nylon. This material is not very easy to machine!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?