Stuck on a few magnetic field questions

In summary, the conversation covers two problems involving particles in uniform magnetic fields. Problem 1 involves finding the magnitude of the acceleration of a particle with given mass, charge, and velocity in a given magnetic field. The conversation includes a discussion of using the Lorentz force equation to solve for the acceleration and potential errors in calculations. Problem 2 involves calculating the magnitude of the linear and angular momentum of a particle in a circular orbit in a magnetic field. The conversation also includes a discussion of using classical physics equations to solve for these values.
NutriGrainKiller
Problem 1:
A particle with mass 1.81*10^-3 kg and a charge of 1.22*10^-8 C has, at a given instant, a velocity v = 3.00*10^4 m/s jhat.

What is the magnitude of the particle's acceleration produced by a uniform magnetic field B=1.63T ihat + 0.980T jhat?
here is what i did:

knew to find the acceleration I needed to use a=QE/M, but since I didn't have E I had to find it. Used F(mag field)=Q*V*B*Sin(theta). I found theta from drawing the ijz axis and using trig, I got 59 degrees.

After I solved this I plugged it into F=QE to get E. Then plugged that into a=QE/M, and got an incorrect answer..not sure where I went wrong.

Problem 2:
A particle with charge 6.40 *10^-19 C travels in a circular orbit with radius 4.68 mm due to the force exerted on it by a magnetic field with magnitude 1.65 T and perpendicular to the orbit.

a) What is the magnitude of the linear momentum P of the particle?

b) What is the magnitude of the angular momentum L of the particle?

for a:
equations I used:

P=MV
R=MV/QB -> V= RQB/M

plugged 2nd into 1st, M cancelled, answer wasn't correct. eh?

for b:

not sure i know the equation for this problem...same as in classical physics?

thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
NutriGrainKiller said:
Problem 1:

here is what i did:

knew to find the acceleration I needed to use a=QE/M, but since I didn't have E I had to find it. Used F(mag field)=Q*V*B*Sin(theta). I found theta from drawing the ijz axis and using trig, I got 59 degrees.

After I solved this I plugged it into F=QE to get E. Then plugged that into a=QE/M, and got an incorrect answer..not sure where I went wrong. Problem 2: for a:
equations I used:

P=MV
R=MV/QB -> V= RQB/M

plugged 2nd into 1st, M cancelled, answer wasn't correct. eh?for b:

not sure i know the equation for this problem...same as in classical physics?

thanks guys!

1) There's nothing wrong with your first problem except that you seem to be insisting there's an electric field. There isn't. The Lorentz force says:
[tex]\mathbf{F}=q\mathbf{E}+q\mathbf{v}X\mathbf{B}[/tex]. Since there is no E, the first term drops out. Then you calculated F, as you did. Now simply apply F=ma.

2) Part a) looks right, I'm not sure why things aren't working. What answer did you get and what does your book say? For part b) I would assume that you aren't being relativistic or quantum mechanical, so yes use the Classical formula.

-Dan

Last edited:
topsquark said:
1) There's nothing wrong with your first problem except that you seem to be insisting there's an electric field. There isn't. The Lorentz force says:
[tex]\mathbf{F}=q\mathbf{E}+q\mathbf{v}X\mathbf{B}[/tex]. Since there is no E, the first term drops out. Then you calculated F, as you did. Now simply apply F=ma.

2) Part a) looks right, I'm not sure why things aren't working. What answer did you get and what does your book say? For part b) I would assume that you aren't being relativistic or quantum mechanical, so yes use the Classical formula.

-Dan

thanks, figured the first one out!

for 2a i got 4.94×10−18

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. This can happen naturally, such as in the Earth's core, or artificially, such as in electromagnets.

3. What is the difference between a magnet and a magnetic field?

A magnet is an object that produces a magnetic field, while a magnetic field is the region around a magnet where magnetic forces can be observed.

4. How does a compass work with magnetic fields?

A compass works by aligning with the Earth's magnetic field. The Earth's magnetic field causes the compass needle to point towards the Earth's magnetic north pole.

5. How do magnetic fields affect everyday objects?

Magnetic fields can affect everyday objects in various ways. For example, they can cause magnetic materials, like iron, to be attracted to magnets. They can also be used in technology, such as in motors and generators.