Stuck on Reaction Enthelpy Question

In summary, we need to generate 70.605 kJ of heat to warm 675 g of water by 25.0 C. With a balanced equation of CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O, we can calculate that we need 0.079 moles (or 1.27 g) of CH4 to generate this amount of heat.
Lori

Homework Statement

What mass of methane must be combusted with excess oxygen to generate enough heat to warm 675 g of water by 25.0 C? (assume no heat lost to surroundings)

Homework Equations

Specific heat of H20= 4.184 J/g*C
q = mCT
balanced equation: CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kinda stuck here. Here's what i found...

from stoic, found that 675g H20 is 37.5 mols of H20 and that its 18.75 mols of CH4

I also figured out that the energy the water absorbs from the reaction is 70605 Joules from m*C*T

every reaction of 18.75 mols of CH4 creates 16693.125 KJ but we need 70605 Joules. Thus, 70605 Joules - 16693.125 KJ = 53911.875 J needed ? I kinda paused here though cause I am not sure if it's right!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are warming 675 g of water (in a pot) with a temperature increase ## \Delta T=25^o \, C ##. You don't need to create 675 g of water. (The water is present in the pot before the reaction). You should know the heat capacity of water is 1.00 cal/(gram-degree centigrade). This allows you to compute the ## \Delta Q ## that you need. What is ## \Delta H ## per mole for this methane reaction? Then you can compute the number of moles of methane you need.

Charles Link said:
You are warming 675 g of water (in a pot) with a temperature increase ## \Delta T=25^o \, C ##. You don't need to create 675 g of water. (The water is present in the pot before the reaction). You should know the heat capacity of water is 1.00 cal/(gram-degree centigrade). This allows you to compute the ## \Delta Q ## that you need. What is ## \Delta H ## per mole for this methane reaction? Then you can compute the number of moles of methane you need.
Is it right to say that the Q of water (m*C*T) is the heat we need to be generated by the combustion?

Yes .## Q=mC \, \Delta T ## and ## C=1.00 cal/(gram-degree Centigrade) ##.

Charles Link said:
Yes .## \Delta Q=mC \Delta T ## and ## C=1.00 cal/(gram-degree Centigrade) ##.
How come we use C = 1.00 instead of 4.184?

Lori said:
How come we use C = 1.00 instead of 4.184?
Oh ! 4.184 J = 1 cal

Ok.. so i found that Q for water is 70.605 Joules and that 1mole CH4/890.3 KJ, using dimensional analysis, i will need 0.079 moles of CH4 which is 1.27 g CH4 needed

Likes Charles Link
Lori said:
Oh ! 4.184 J = 1 cal

Ok.. so i found that Q for water is 70.605 Joules and that 1mole CH4/890.3 KJ, using dimensional analysis, i will need 0.079 moles of CH4 which is 1.27 g CH4 needed
Editing... (you added something)... I think Q should be 70,605 Joules. (or 70.605 kJ). Otherwise, what you have looks correct. :)

Charles Link said:
Editing... (you added something)... I think Q should be 70,605 Joules. (or 70.605 kJ). Otherwise, what you have looks correct. :)
oops! you're right. I meant kilojoules :p

Likes Charles Link

What is reaction enthalpy?

Reaction enthalpy is the measure of the heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It is expressed in units of Joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

Why is reaction enthalpy important?

Reaction enthalpy is important because it tells us how much heat energy is involved in a chemical reaction. This information is useful in determining the feasibility and direction of a reaction, as well as the amount of heat that needs to be supplied or removed to carry out the reaction.

How is reaction enthalpy calculated?

Reaction enthalpy is calculated by taking the difference between the enthalpy of the products and the enthalpy of the reactants. This can be determined experimentally using calorimetry, or calculated using standard enthalpy of formation values.

What factors affect reaction enthalpy?

The factors that affect reaction enthalpy include the chemical bonds broken and formed during the reaction, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and the concentration of the reactants.

Can reaction enthalpy be negative?

Yes, reaction enthalpy can be negative, which indicates an exothermic reaction where heat is released. It can also be positive, indicating an endothermic reaction where heat is absorbed.