Stuck with 2D kinetics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mechanism with a cut cord and the need to find reactions at different instants. The person has been working on the problem for four hours and is stuck. They mention using energy considerations and the Lagrangian to solve the problem, but are struggling with finding an analytic solution. They ask for help and express frustration with the complexity of the solution they have found.
EzequielJC

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been trying to solve this exercise for the last four hours and I'm totally stuck. The problems goes like this:

Given the mechanism in the image, located in the vertical plane, the OB cord is cut when t=0. Find the reactions Rx, Ry and N in {Kgf} for the instants when t=0s, t=0.2s and t=0.4s. The initial values are θ(0)=60° and θ'(0)=0. Both rods have mass m=25kg and length L=3m
(i uploaded a image showing the mechanism)

Homework Equations

The first thing I realized was that the three reactions were time/angle dependent, so I inmediately thought of solving this problem with energy considerations, instead of Newton laws. To do this I choose my system to be both rods so the external forces are the gravity and the three reactions. Also, those reactions don't do any work to the system so in terms of equation I got:
(initial kinetic energy) + (initial potential energy) = (final kinetic energy) + (final potential energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm facing here is this, I get a real nasty looking differential equation with no analytic solution. This is preventing me to find θ(t). Also, i not sure if this is really the approach i should be following, is there any easier way I am not taking into account?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
I decided to use the lagrangian to get the differential equation in the generalized coordinate θ to obtain its differential equation. I've got this
(I0+Icr)θ'' + (mgLcosθ)θ' = 0
Icr is the moment of inertia of the second rod with respect to its instantaneus center of rotation.
Ok so I solved this diff. eq. using wolpram alpha and the solution looks really complicated. I am sure this is not the approach this exercise requires, but I can't seem to figure out any other way, because as i said, the three reactions are not constant. Any idea on this? I would really appreciate any help

What is a 2D kinetics problem?

A 2D kinetics problem involves the study of motion and forces in a two-dimensional space. This means that the problem involves movement in both the x and y directions, and includes the calculation of forces and their effects on an object.

What are some common examples of 2D kinetics problems?

Some common examples of 2D kinetics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane. These problems can be found in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

What are the key equations used in 2D kinetics problems?

The key equations used in 2D kinetics problems include Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Other important equations include those for calculating the components of velocity and acceleration in the x and y directions.

What are some common challenges when solving 2D kinetics problems?

Some common challenges when solving 2D kinetics problems include correctly identifying and separating forces in the x and y directions, understanding and applying vector mathematics, and dealing with non-uniform forces or changing conditions during motion.

What are some tips for successfully solving 2D kinetics problems?

Some tips for successfully solving 2D kinetics problems include drawing clear and accurate diagrams, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and using vector addition and subtraction to simplify calculations. It is also important to carefully consider and interpret the physical meaning of each equation and solution.