How Do You Calculate Stopping Distances and Projectile Motion?

In summary, the conversation is about two different physics problems that the person needs help with. The first problem involves determining stopping distances for a car with different accelerations and a human reaction time. The second problem involves calculating the time it takes for a football to hit the ground after being kicked at an angle. The summary suggests using kinematic equations and resolving components to solve these problems.
thschica
Studying for exams need help very soon!

On both of these I got the right answer but it was so long ago I have no idea how to do them.
(Which equation am I to use?)(v=Vo+at? if so how?)
1.Determine the stopping distances for an automobile with an initial speed of 91 km/h and human reaction time of 3.0 s for the following accelerations.
(a) a = -4.0 m/s2
? m
(b) a = -8.0 m/s2
? m
(This one is beyond me I keep attempting to use equations but none of them are working)
2.5. A football is kicked at ground level with a speed of 20.0 m/s at an angle of 38.0° to the horizontal. How much later does it hit the ground?
? seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
a) use a kinematic equation to solve for "d"
, then use a kinematic equation to solve for "time"
then add reaction time.

b) resolve the components (sin & cos)
the y component give you time

The stopping distance consists of two parts, the distance traveled before the deceleration is applied, which is given by x1 = v tr, where r would be the response time, and then the distance traveled during the period of deceleration, which is governed by a different equation.

see - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1
for linear motion in one dimension.

Related to How Do You Calculate Stopping Distances and Projectile Motion?

1. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for exams?

Managing your time effectively is crucial when studying for exams. Some tips to help you manage your time include creating a study schedule, breaking down your studying into smaller chunks, and prioritizing your studying based on the importance of the material.

2. What are some effective study techniques for preparing for exams?

Some effective study techniques for preparing for exams include creating flashcards, practicing past exams or quizzes, summarizing your notes, and teaching the material to someone else.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying for exams?

Staying motivated can be challenging while studying for exams, but some ways to stay motivated include setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for completing tasks, and taking breaks to avoid burnout.

4. Is it better to study alone or in a group for exams?

This ultimately depends on your learning style, but studying in a group can be beneficial as it allows for discussion and different perspectives on the material. However, studying alone can also be effective as it allows for focused and uninterrupted studying.

5. What should I do the day before an exam?

The day before an exam, it is important to review your notes and any key concepts that you are struggling with. It is also important to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy meal, and avoid cramming as it can increase stress and make it harder to retain information.