Sturm Liouville Form: Solving y''+(2/x)y'+[landa]y=0 Equation

• Thread starter wolfandraven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the given equation can be put into Sturm Liouville form as {-d/dx(x^2dy/dx)=[landa]x^2y(x) and the weight function is w(x)=x^2. This was confirmed to be correct for the start of a computer project by Gillian.
wolfandraven

Homework Statement

y''+(2/x)y'+[landa]y=0, 0<x<1. y(0) must be finite, and y(1) = 0

Put this equation into sturm liouville form and state the weight function w(x)

Homework Equations

Sturm Liouville Form: {-d/dx(p(x)d/dx)+q(x)}y(x)=[landa]w(x)y(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm almost certain the solution is {-d/dx(x^2dy/dx)=[landa]x^2y(x) so that w(x)=x^2

I just wanted to check that was correct because it comes right at the start of a computer project so it would be very annoying to find out I'd got that part wrong!

Thanks!

Gillian

Physics news on Phys.org
wolfandraven said:

Homework Statement

y''+(2/x)y'+[landa]y=0, 0<x<1. y(0) must be finite, and y(1) = 0

Put this equation into sturm liouville form and state the weight function w(x)

Homework Equations

Sturm Liouville Form: {-d/dx(p(x)d/dx)+q(x)}y(x)=[landa]w(x)y(x

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm almost certain the solution is {-d/dx(x^2dy/dx)=[landa]x^2y(x) so that w(x)=x^2

I just wanted to check that was correct because it comes right at the start of a computer project so it would be very annoying to find out I'd got that part wrong!

Thanks!

Gillian
Yes, that is correct.

Great, thanks!

1. What is the Sturm Liouville form equation?

The Sturm Liouville form equation is a second-order differential equation of the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0, where p(x) and q(x) are continuous functions defined on a given interval. It is often used in mathematical physics to model various physical phenomena.

2. How do you solve the Sturm Liouville form equation?

The Sturm Liouville form equation can be solved using a variety of methods, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the Frobenius method. The exact method used will depend on the specific form of the equation and the initial/boundary conditions given.

3. What is the significance of the parameter lambda in the Sturm Liouville form equation?

The parameter lambda, also known as the eigenvalue, is a crucial component in solving the Sturm Liouville form equation. It represents the values of x for which the solution of the equation becomes singular or infinitely large. The eigenvalues also play a role in determining the type of solution (e.g. oscillatory, exponential) for the equation.

4. Can the Sturm Liouville form equation be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the Sturm Liouville form equation can be applied to a variety of real-world problems, particularly in mathematical physics. It has been used to model phenomena such as heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Sturm Liouville form equation?

While the Sturm Liouville form equation is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to certain types of non-linear or time-dependent problems. Additionally, the solutions obtained may not always be physically meaningful and must be interpreted with caution.