Z_2007 Subgroup of Order 6: True or False?

• Thread starter raynard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the question asks if the group of units U(\mathbb{Z}_{2007}) has a subgroup of order 6. This can be determined by finding an element of order 6 in the group. The Euler's totient function gives the total number of elements in the group, which is 1332. By writing the group under the form \mathbb{Z}_n\times \mathbb{Z}_m\times ..., it can be shown that the order of an element in a direct product group is the least common multiple of the orders of its components. Using this fact, it is possible to show that the group has an element of order 6. However, finding this element requires trial and error
raynard

Homework Statement

True or false:
U([tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2007}[/tex]), . (=group of units) has a subgroup of order 6.

Homework Equations

We know that the [tex]\phi(2007)[/tex] (= Euler's tolient function) = 1332, which is the amount of elements in U([tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2007}[/tex]), .

The Attempt at a Solution

We clearly see that 6 could be a valid subgroup of U([tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2007}[/tex]), . , as it is a divisor of the total amount of elements in that group. However, I fail to find any example of such a group (I can't find any example of an element a for which [tex]a^6 = 1[/tex], other than the trivial case).
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should start by writing [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2007}[/tex] under the form [tex]\mathbb{Z}_n\times \mathbb{Z}_m\times ...[/tex] where n,m,... are powers of primes.

The reason you do that, is because of the following fact:
The order of an element (a,b) in a group GxH, is the least common multiple of the order of a and the order of b...

micromass said:
The order of an element (a,b) in a group GxH, is the least common multiple of the order of a and the order of b...

Could you explain me why this is so? (We haven't seen any kind of such a theorem)

You should be able to convince yourself of this fact. First, show that (a,b) raised to the least common multiple power does equal the identity (1,1). Second, show by contradiction that anything less won't do.

I haven't touched algebra in about a year, so I can't help much more on this interesting approach. I will say that by trial and error you will find that 40 works as an example.

I still don't have a clue on how to get further in this problem.

This is what I've got so far:

assuming there exists a subgroup of order 6, all elements should have order 1, 2, 3 or 6. The identity element is the only one having order 1, so that leaves us with 5 other elements. Now there are several possibilities:

1. There is only one more element a with order 6. This would imply that [tex]a^6 = 1 + n*2007[/tex]. I don't manage to find such an a.
2. All remaining elements have order 2. This would imply that there is an [tex]a^2 = 1 + n*2007 \Rightarrow 2007|(a-1)(a+1) \Rightarrow 3 | (a+1) \vee 223 | (a+1)[/tex]. This way, we find that for instance 224 is an element of order 2. However, I fail to find any other elements, let alone that their product is still element of the subgroup.
3. ...

I assume my method is wrong, but I fail to see any other way to find a subgroup (or to prove there aren't any)

Didn't Tedjn already answer your question?? 40 is the element you're looking for...

Some advanced algebra guarantees that an element of order 6 exists, but it doesn't say how to find it. To find it, I see no other method than trial and error.

Could you explain how to do this 'trail and error' ?

Try every elementand see if they generate a subgroup of order 6...

1. What is a Z_2007 Subgroup of Order 6?

A Z_2007 Subgroup of Order 6 is a subgroup of the group Z_2007, which is the set of integers modulo 2007 under addition. The subgroup has 6 elements and is a subset of Z_2007 with the properties of a group, including closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse elements.

2. How is the order of a subgroup determined?

The order of a subgroup is determined by the number of elements it contains. In the case of a Z_2007 Subgroup of Order 6, it contains 6 elements.

3. Is the statement "Z_2007 Subgroup of Order 6" true or false?

The statement "Z_2007 Subgroup of Order 6" is true. The subgroup has been defined and its properties have been verified, making it a valid and true statement.

4. What does it mean for a subgroup to have an order?

The order of a subgroup refers to the number of elements it contains. In this case, the Z_2007 Subgroup of Order 6 has 6 elements.

5. What is the significance of the order of a subgroup?

The order of a subgroup is significant because it tells us the size of the subgroup and its relationship to the larger group. In this case, the Z_2007 Subgroup of Order 6 is a small subset of the larger group Z_2007.