1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspaces of P spaces and C[a,b] spaces

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the set of polynomials of degree 3 form a subspace of P(4)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]P(4) = c_3 x^3 + c_2 x^2 + c_1 x + c_0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\alpha P(4_1) = \alpha c_3 x^3 + \alpha c_2 x^2 + \alpha c_1 x + \alpha c_0[/tex]

This just scales the coefficients, right? It would still be a polynomial of degree 3 I think...

For addition, wouldn't you just be adding two polynomials? So wouldn't you just obtain another degree 3 polynomial?

Thanks, Sean.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2
    Note that [tex] \Re^{2} [/tex] is not a subspace of [tex] \Re^{3} [/tex]
  4. Dec 5, 2006 #3
    I don't see how that helps. I suspect I will, but, why is what you said true? Why don't the set of vectors (a,b,0) doesn't span a subspace in R3?
  5. Dec 5, 2006 #4
    Look at vector addition and scalar multiplication in [tex] \Re^{2} [/tex] and [tex] \Re^{3} [/tex]. What are the conditions to show that if [tex] W [/tex] is a nonempty subset of [tex] V [/tex] if [tex] V [/tex] is a vector space over [tex] \Re [/tex] then [tex] W [/tex] is a subspace of [tex] V [/tex]?
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  6. Dec 5, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

Imagine two polynomials of the third degree with leading coefficients a and -a. What happens is you add them?
  7. Dec 5, 2006 #6

Hmm. Do you mean W is nonempty, the sum of two vectors in W must lie in W, and W times a scalar must lie in W?

So take two vectors in R2, say (x1,x2),(y1,y2). Their sum equals (x1+y1,x2+y2), which lies in R2, and (cx1,cx2) also lies in R2.
  8. Dec 5, 2006 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A polynomial of degree 3 is a cubic, ax^3+bx^2+cx+d where a must be non-zero. Thus the space fails to be a vector subspace of the polys for lots of reasons. Note that the space of polynomials of degree at most 3 *is* a subspace, but this is strictly different from the space of polys of degree 3.
  9. Dec 5, 2006 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?