Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Substituting a solid body with mass points

1. Oct 14, 2016 #1
    I ran into the following problem, and stuck for a couple of days now.

I have a solid body, rigid and and has uniform density. Its mass M, the location of the center of gravity x_M, y_M, z_M and its inertia matrix is known:

Jx Jxy Jxz
    Jyx Jyy Jyz
    Jzx Jzy Jz

I have to write an algorithm, which creates maximum 3 mass points xi, yi, zi, mi in a way, that the following properties of the solid body and the sum of the mass points are exactly the same:

- The mass must be identical ∑i=13mi = M
    - The location of the center of gravity must remain
    xM =∑i=13mi xi/M
    yM =∑i=13mi yi/M
    zM =∑i=13mi zi/M
    - Jx must be unchanged:
    JxM = ∑i=13 (yi2 + zi2) mi
    - The angle of the principal axes to x axis should not change
    JxyM = ∑i=13 xiyimi
    JxzM = ∑i=13 xizimi

Everything else is arbitrary.

What I did so far: with simple algebra I managed to find a solution for everything, except for Jxy and Jxz. But I see no way to modify the variables to keep the good parameters and reach the missing ones at the same time.

Any suggestions are most welcome, many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted