Substitution in Laplace Transform: Simplifying the Process of Finding Transforms

In summary, substitution in Laplace involves taking the Laplace transform of a function multiplied by e^at, and then replacing s with s-a in the resulting transform. This can be useful for finding the Laplace transform of more complex functions.
azserendipity
Hi,

I'm learning about Laplace and I was wondering what substitution is when using laplace.

Just say you have to find the laplace transform of

{x^4 e^4x}

I know what the individual transforms are = 4!//S^5 and 1/S-3

but how do you kinda smush them together, apparently that's substitution but I would like to know what it is? and how it's done?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
azserendipity said:
Hi,

I'm learning about Laplace and I was wondering what substitution is when using laplace.

Just say you have to find the laplace transform of

{x^4 e^4x}

I know what the individual transforms are = 4!//S^5 and 1/S-3

but how do you kinda smush them together, apparently that's substitution but I would like to know what it is? and how it's done?

Any help would be really appreciated!

You use this:$$
\mathcal L(e^{at}f(t)) = \int_0^\infty e^{at}f(t)e^{-st}\, dt
=\int_0^\infty e^{-(s-a)t}f(t)\, dt = \mathcal L(f(t))|_{s\rightarrow s-a}$$ What this means is that if you want to take the transform of ##e^{at}## times a function ##f(t)## you can just transform ##f(t)## and replace ##s## by ##s-a## in the answer. Try it in your example.

1. What is substitution in Laplace?

Substitution in Laplace is a technique used to simplify and solve differential equations using the Laplace transform. It involves replacing a function with another function in order to make the equation easier to solve.

2. Why is substitution used in Laplace?

Substitution is used in Laplace to transform a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is typically easier to solve. This allows for the use of tables and other tools to find the solution.

3. How is substitution performed in Laplace?

In Laplace, substitution is performed by replacing a function with its Laplace transform. This transform is calculated using an integral formula, and the resulting algebraic equation can then be solved using techniques such as partial fractions or inverse Laplace transform.

4. What are the benefits of using substitution in Laplace?

Using substitution in Laplace can make solving differential equations more efficient and easier. It also allows for the use of tables and other tools to find the solution, which can save time and effort.

5. Are there any limitations to using substitution in Laplace?

While substitution can be a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it may not always be applicable or effective. Some equations may not have a Laplace transform, or the resulting algebraic equation may be too complex to solve. In these cases, other techniques may need to be used.