Sudden jumps in reported free space

In summary, the free space on the C drive went from 199MB to 5GB in a minute, then settled back to 3.35GB. The chkdsk commands found no problems.

How would you categorize my issue

• Benign

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-benign

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
phoenixthoth
I was alerted to low free space. It was 199MB on my C drive. I did the "disk cleanup" and nothing revealed anything more than about 400KB. That's K and not M. None of my browsers use C for cache and I don't keep a recycle bin on drive C.

So I searched drive C for anything modified today. Didn't get anything obviously unusual except one file called tvDebug.txt which seems to be continuously updated (whether or not my internet connection is physically plugged in or not) under a folder called "Internet logs." It is about 22MB. Seemed rather large for a log file.

Tried viewing it but it was in use by another program (even when all programs that could be were shut down). Finally got it open in Word and got nothing but ASCII gibberish; again it didn't seem like any type of log or debug file. I glanced at it and noticed that the same block of characters seem to be repeated over and over, at least through the first 200 pages of it. There may be minor differences in each block, such as a time stamp, but I didn't examine it closely yet.

After searching on google, it seems like tvDebug is a log used by ZoneAlarm, which I have.

OK, then suddenly in the background I had "My Computer" running and the free space on C went from 199MB to 391MB. Then I right-clicked on it and got properties. It then said there were 1.61GB of free space. Then I closed properties and in "My Computer" it said 3.35GB free. It has settled on that and not changed since then.

There could be many things causing this, perhaps the most likely and least threatening being that whatever it is that is estimating my free space is malfunctioning. I have noticed the free space measurement to be inaccurate before or inconsistent with other ways to count free space, but I've never noticed a jump from 199MB to 3.35GB within a minute.

Hmm...Now it says 5GB free. I think I'll turn my 'puter off for a while.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's possible that Windows is simply changing its virtual memory swap file size, although they are typically not bigger than a few gigabytes.

- Warren

chroot said:
It's possible that Windows is simply changing its virtual memory swap file size, although they are typically not bigger than a few gigabytes.

- Warren
I hadn't considered that.

There are two reasons I don't think that is what's happening in this case.
1. I did a search on drive C for all files modified today and sorted by size. The largest one was apparently a log file used by ZoneAlarm, which is about 22MB. Perhaps that search would not have picked up the swap file.

2. Way back when I did set up my swap file, I'm fairly sure it was not placed on drive C and nearly 100% sure that it is much less than 5GB, which is approximately the difference between when I started looking at the free space and a few minutes later when it was 5GB free.

I am hoping that whatever is estimating my free space is wrong and not something maliciously deleting files.

Another thing to consider is that whenever I open "My Computer," it has not reported anything above 500MB free for at least a year, maybe 2. And it hasn't reported more than 300MB free for a few months.

run chkdsk to make sure the drive is healthy.

russ_watters said:
run chkdsk to make sure the drive is healthy.
I'll try that. Ran it two days ago but obviously this could be a new problem.

Related to Sudden jumps in reported free space

1. What causes sudden jumps in reported free space?

There are several potential reasons for sudden jumps in reported free space on a device or computer. It could be due to the installation of a new program or updates, the deletion of large files, or the clearing of temporary files. It could also be caused by a virus or malware, which may be using up space or manipulating the reported free space.

2. How can I check the accuracy of reported free space?

To check the accuracy of reported free space, you can use a disk space analyzer tool to scan your device and see which files and folders are taking up the most space. You can also compare the reported free space to the actual physical storage capacity of your device.

3. Is it common for reported free space to fluctuate?

Yes, it is common for reported free space to fluctuate on a device. As files are constantly being created, modified, and deleted, the amount of free space can change. It is also possible for temporary files to be created and cleared, affecting the reported free space. However, sudden and significant jumps in reported free space may indicate a larger issue.

4. Can a sudden jump in reported free space indicate a problem with my device?

It is possible for a sudden jump in reported free space to indicate a problem with your device. It could be a sign of a virus or malware, a malfunctioning hard drive, or a corrupt file system. It is important to investigate the cause of the sudden jump in free space to ensure the health and functionality of your device.

5. How can I prevent sudden jumps in reported free space?

To prevent sudden jumps in reported free space, you can regularly clean up your device by deleting unnecessary files and clearing temporary files. It is also important to regularly update your antivirus software and perform scans to detect and remove any potential threats. If the sudden jumps in free space persist, it may be necessary to seek professional help to diagnose and fix any underlying issues.