1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of a finite series

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    Just wondering, is there a way to sort of "collapse" a finite series (to get the sum) that isn't classified as arithmetic, geometric or a p-series.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Not that I'm aware of.

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you use the word "collapse", there is always the "collapsing" or "telescoping series". For example, it is easy to show that the series [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{n^2+ n}[/tex] sums to [itex]1- 1/(n+1)[/itex]. That is because, using "partial fractions", we can rewrite [tex]\frac{1}{n^2+ n}= \frac{1}{n}- \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex] so that each "1/k" term reappears as "-1/(k+1)" and cancels. The only terms that survive are the first, 1, and the last, -1/(n+1).

5. Jun 21, 2012 #4
    What kind of a series are you solving???

6. Jun 21, 2012 #5
    I'm solving a series with just one coefficient, n, and an exponent. I'm aware that I can bring the coefficient "through" the integral and solve from there but I don't know what sort of formula to use.
    I also know I can just write it out.

7. Jun 21, 2012 #6
    I was hoping you would bring that up. For some reason, I really like telescoping series, but my series doesn't fall under it's description.

8. Jun 21, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, exactly, is the series? Is it [itex]S_p = \sum_{n=1}^N n^p,[/itex], or is it something else? It the series I wrote is the one you want, you are out of luck: for general p there is NO formula (although, of course, for integers p = 0,1,2,3, and a few more, you can derive results). However, the results get increasingly complicated as p increases. For example, when p = 3 we get
    [tex] S_3 = \frac{1}{4} N^2 (n+1)^2,[/tex]
    but for p = 10 we get
    [tex] S_{10} = \frac{1}{66} N(N+1)(2N+1)(N^2-N-1)(3N^6+9N^5+2N^4 -11N^3 +3N^2 +10N-5),[/tex]
    and it gets worse for larger p.

RGV

9. Jun 21, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, exactly, is the series? Is it [itex]S_p = \sum_{n=1}^N n^p,[/itex], or is it something else? It the series I wrote is the one you want, you are out of luck: for general p there is NO formula (although, of course, for integers p = 0,1,2,3---that are not really large---you can derive results). However, the results get increasingly complicated as p increases. For example, when p = 3 we get
    [tex] S_3 = \frac{1}{4} N^2 (N+1)^2,[/tex]
    but for p = 10 we get
    [tex] S_{10} = \frac{1}{66} N(N+1)(2N+1)(N^2-N-1)(3N^6+9N^5+2N^4 -11N^3 +3N^2 +10N-5),[/tex]
    and it gets worse for larger p. For fractional values of p, such as p = 1/2, etc., there are no known formulas. Basically, when we have such a series with known numerical values of N and p we just evaluate the sum numerically.

RGV

10. Jun 21, 2012 #9
    Yes, it is the series you wrote: p stays the same, n is the term.
    Thanks everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook