Troubleshooting Summation Problem #23: Book Answer vs. My Calculation

• Thread starter jwxie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, a summation problem is a mathematical problem that involves adding up a sequence of numbers using a formula or equation. The notation used for these problems is the Greek letter sigma (Σ), and some common examples include finding the sum of natural numbers, squared numbers, and geometric series. Strategies for solving summation problems include using known formulas, simplifying expressions, and using mathematical induction. These problems are also used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze real-life situations.
jwxie
Please look at the attachments (for the problem and my work) , thank you.

The answer from the book is 2.84 but I got 14.4.

How come?

My problem is #23

Attachments

• 091207_154455.jpg
    091207_154455.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 376
  • 091207_154442.jpg
    091207_154442.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check all the details of your arithmetic, but it looks like you neglected to multiply by ∆x = .2.

Thanks!

What is a summation problem?

A summation problem is a mathematical problem that involves adding up a sequence of numbers. It typically involves using a formula or equation to find the sum of a specific set of numbers.

What is the notation used for summation problems?

The notation used for summation problems is the Greek letter sigma (Σ). It is typically followed by an expression that represents the sequence of numbers to be added, and the numbers are written below and above the sigma symbol.

What are some common examples of summation problems?

Some common examples of summation problems include finding the sum of the first n natural numbers (1+2+3+...+n), the sum of the first n squared numbers (1+4+9+...+n^2), and the sum of a geometric series (a+ar+ar^2+...+ar^n).

What are some strategies for solving summation problems?

There are several strategies for solving summation problems, including using known formulas or equations, simplifying the expression inside the summation symbol, and using mathematical induction for more complex problems.

How are summation problems used in real life?

Summation problems are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze real-life situations. They can be used to calculate probabilities, growth rates, and other important quantities in fields such as economics, physics, and computer science.