Solve Complex Number Equations: Ib & Ia

• Thread starter DunceKirchhoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary, complex numbers consist of a real part and an imaginary part written in the form a + bi. To solve complex number equations, the complex number must be isolated on one side and the real number on the other side, using algebraic methods. Ib and Ia represent the imaginary parts in equations, with Ib representing the right side and Ia representing the left side. Complex numbers can have exponents, and the same rules for exponents apply. Special rules for solving complex number equations include the fact that i squared is equal to -1, and using the FOIL method when multiplying or dividing complex numbers.
DunceKirchhoff
Ib= (-12.4-j6.88)-(9.57-j6.38)
Ib= -12.4-j6.88-9.57+j6.38
Ib=(-22-j0.5)A

Why does the -j6.38 become +j6.38?

Ia=(9.57-j6.38)-(0.454+j13)
Ia= 9.57-j6.38-0.454-j13

Why does the +J13 become -J13?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So for the top one the two minuses become a positive?

Well, what is -1 * -1?

It equals 1.
Yip I get you thanks.

Its just the way it was laid out that got me.

Related to Solve Complex Number Equations: Ib & Ia

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a represents the real part and bi represents the imaginary part.

2. How do you solve complex number equations?

To solve a complex number equation, you must isolate the complex number on one side of the equation and the real number on the other side. Then, use algebraic methods to solve for the variable.

3. What is the difference between Ib and Ia in complex number equations?

Ib and Ia represent the imaginary parts in a complex number equation. Ib is typically used for the imaginary part of the number on the right side of the equation, while Ia is used for the imaginary part on the left side.

4. Can complex numbers have exponents?

Yes, complex numbers can have exponents. The exponent can be applied to both the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, and the same rules for exponents apply.

5. Are there any special rules for solving complex number equations?

Yes, there are a few special rules for solving complex number equations. One rule is that the square of the imaginary unit i is equal to -1. Also, when multiplying or dividing complex numbers, you must use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) to distribute the terms and simplify the equation.