Super ball Acceleration question

In summary, a 45.0 g Super Ball traveling at 30.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 17.0 m/s, as recorded by a high-speed camera. The ball is in contact with the wall for 4.50 ms. To find the magnitude of the average acceleration during this time interval, the change in velocity must be calculated using the correct equation (17 m/s - (-30) m/s) and then divided by the time (4.50 ms). The correct answer can be obtained by following these steps.
physics_geek
A 45.0 g Super Ball traveling at 30.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 17.0 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 4.50 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval? (Note: 1 ms = 10-3 s.)

please explain...i don't get it!

Physics news on Phys.org
As you have been told previously, you must show some effort in solving the question yourself before we can help you.

I know everyone doesn't have natural talent in physics but just look at the basics first.

Im 15 doing high school physics and i can get it.

First list data, then see relevant equations should be pretty basic from there.

Always do that with all questions,, list data,, look for equations,, sometimes it also helps to draw diagrams if that makes it clearer for you.

well i know that the average acceleration equation is the change of velocity/change in time

so i thought it would be

17m/s-30m/s

.0045 s

but i can't seem to get the right answer..i think I am missing something?

velocities are vector quantities.. so 17-(-30) because the ball is changing direction
then divide by the time

What is the correct answer?

1. How does the mass of the super ball affect its acceleration?

The mass of an object affects its acceleration according to Newton's Second Law of Motion. The larger the mass of the object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. Therefore, a heavier super ball will have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter one.

2. Does the surface the super ball is bouncing on affect its acceleration?

Yes, the surface the super ball is bouncing on can affect its acceleration. The type of surface can impact the amount of friction acting on the ball, which in turn affects its acceleration. Smooth surfaces with less friction will allow the ball to accelerate faster compared to rough surfaces with more friction.

3. How does the force applied to the super ball affect its acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it. This means that the greater the force applied to the super ball, the greater its acceleration will be.

4. What role does air resistance play in the acceleration of a super ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact the acceleration of a super ball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which slows it down. This means that air resistance can decrease the acceleration of the super ball.

5. How does the initial velocity of the super ball affect its acceleration?

The initial velocity, or the starting speed, of the super ball can affect its acceleration. If the ball is already moving at a high speed, it will have a greater inertia and therefore require more force to accelerate. On the other hand, a super ball with a low initial velocity will require less force to accelerate.