Super congfused about finding distance with constant acceleration

In summary, the car is accelerating at a constant rate and its velocity is constantly changing. You can use the kinematic equations for constant acceleration to solve for the acceleration and then use it to find the distance traveled in the given time interval. Remember to use the correct formula for accelerating bodies and to plug in the correct values for time and initial velocity. Drawing a graph of velocity vs time may also help you visualize the problem.
Butterfly30
*confused

A car speeding up from rest to constant accel. travels 100 meters in 6.04s. How far did it travel in the first 2.37 seconds?

So I figure if I divide distance by time 100/6.04 it will give me the velocity 16.5m/s. And since distance = vt I would do d=15.6*2.37 which equals 37.03m but this is wrong. I was also told to try drawing a graph of velocity vs time...but how can I graph numbers such as these (high and low #'s with decimals) If I can't graph it I can't find the slope or y intercept...so I'm lost

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The car is accelerating at a constant rate (if I understand the problem correctly, it's wording is strange), so its velocity is constantly changing.

Do you know any kinematic equations for motion under constant acceleration?

In class we've used these: v=v0+at, x=x0+v0t+1/2at^2, and v^2=V0+2a(x-x0)
but from what I see I have an intitial velocity of 0, a distance and starting point which would be x0=0 and x=100m then I have two times... I'm having trouble fitting this all in..

Start by using [itex] x - x_o = v_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/itex] to find this acceleration, which is a constant value.

Can I use the eqtn v=v0+at instead with the initial velocity being zero, velocity being 100m/6.04s and t=6.04s? and solving for a?

and them plug it into the x-x0 eqtn?

Last edited:
Butterfly30 said:
Can I use the eqtn v=v0+at instead with the initial velocity being zero, velocity being 100m/6.04s and t=6.04s? and solving for a?

No. The v in that equation is final velocity. You would be using average velocity. Do what CAF123 suggests.

Ok so when I solve for a the eqtn is a=2x/t^2. Then I plug a back into the eqtn but I use the second given time... Am I on the right track?

Butterfly30 said:
Ok so when I solve for a the eqtn is a=2x/t^2. Then I plug a back into the eqtn but I use the second given time... Am I on the right track?
Yes!

1. How do I find the distance with constant acceleration?

To find the distance with constant acceleration, you can use the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when the velocity of an object changes by the same amount in each unit of time. This means that the acceleration remains constant throughout the motion of the object.

3. How is constant acceleration different from uniform motion?

Constant acceleration and uniform motion are different because in uniform motion, the velocity of an object remains constant and there is no change in acceleration. However, in constant acceleration, the velocity changes by the same amount in each unit of time.

4. Can I use the same formula to find distance with both positive and negative acceleration?

Yes, you can use the same formula d = v0t + 1/2at2 to find distance with both positive and negative acceleration. Just remember to include the sign of the acceleration in the formula.

5. How can I use graphs to visualize constant acceleration?

You can use a position-time graph or a velocity-time graph to visualize constant acceleration. In a position-time graph, the slope of the line represents the velocity of the object, and the curvature of the line represents the acceleration. In a velocity-time graph, the slope of the line represents the acceleration of the object.